Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Polar wireless sensor range setting

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nkrax 
#1 ·
After a search on the forums, it looks like there is a way to set the range of the Polar wireless speed sensor, but after taking it apart it's not obvious... The only thing I've been able to find that looks "settable" is a jumper with 3 pins on the battery side of the PC board inside the sensor. I assume this is the range "switch" (but I am not sure) and don't know which setting corresponds to what... Anyone knows?

Txs

#2 ·
I think I got this from the Polar Australia forum, but old posts there seem to have gone. In any case, whilst I'm not sure about the other two settings, I'm fairly sure the longest range is with the jumper on the two pins nearest the edge of the PCB, since that's what the one I've got sat here is on.

#3 ·
from another thread on mtbr.com...hope this helps.

aha, here is a "hack" from the Polar site to increase range of the transmitter:

"S-series Speed and Cadence Sensors

Loss of speed or cadence readings

If you observe either the speed or cadence readings drop out while riding, and the sensors and receiver have been mounted as per the factory instructions, the problem could be caused by obsorbtion of the sensor output signal by the bike frame. If the sensor has been in use previously with no problems, it could be an indication of a low battery voltage.

It is always recommended to send any Polar unit which is malfunctioning back to an authorised Polar repair centre for checking.
However, by following the below proceedure, the problem may be overcome. If you don't have the correct small philips head screwdriver or are not confident, don't attempt the adjustment and return to an authorised Polar repair centre.

Please first try and position the sensor as close as possible to 90 degrees to the wheel to get the best transmission lobe to the receiver. If this does not help, the sensor range can be increased as follows:

To increase the transmission range on the S510/S520/S710/S710i/S720 s-series speed/cadence sensors only:

Remove sensor from the bike.
Undo 2 small screws holding the two halves of the sensor together with a small philips screwdriver.
Carefully remove one section of the housing (end with cable ties).
Carefully slide the exposed printed circuit board a little way out.
Remove the jumper plug from the inner most pin and insert it over the two pins closest to the edge of the circuit board. This will give the maximum range. Shorting out the inner two pins with the jumper plug gives the medium range.
Re-assemble carefully in the reverse order.
Becareful not to over-tighten the two screws which can either distort or crack the case leaving the unit not water resistant.
Further information can be found on Page G82 of the S510 user's manual or Page G90 of the S710i/S720i user's manual.
TO ENSURE SENSOR WATER RESISTANCE IS MAINTAINED, PLEASE BECAREFUL DURING RE-ASSEMBLY THAT THE FINE RUBBER SEALING RING AND CASING ARE NOT DAMAGED.

After reassembly, if the sealing ring or casing appear to be damaged, please immediately return to a Polar service centre to be replaced before re-fitting to the bike.

Note. Increasing the transmission range may interfere with other bike riders with the similar Polar setup and will also shorten the battery life of the speed/cadence sensor."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.