Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Edge 305 questions...

742 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  OldMTBfreak 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've read some of the Edge 305 posts. I have a friend who just bought one, he is having some discrepencies on mileage.

I'm looking for some sort of bike computer / altimeter / hrm / gps option that is accurate, high enough sampling rate I suppose is the issue there?

Could you please expand on what the usefullness of this product is if its not giving correct info. I was considering just using a HRM and a cycle computer with a GPS for altitude and elevation gain. But I'd like to combine them for ease of information sake.

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

Matt

#2 ·
Gps

I have an Edge 305 for my bike, and a handheld (1200XL). I would be more prone to accept the GPS receiver's mileage (and/or speed) than any other method. Until the 90's, accuracy was degraded. After the fall of "the evil empire", the dither was turned off. Even a low end receiver offers good accuracy. Altitude is the GPS receiver's less accurate reading. Odds of having a sat directly over ur head (at the time u need ur altitude reading are poor). Lat and Long readings are much more accurate. The Edge 305 has a baro sensor (air pressure) to beef up the altitude reading. The longer u hang around a spot, the more readings ur receiver will get. GPS message is sent every second. This=more accuracy. U can look at Wiki for more information. I was trying to "keep it simple". I was on the team that designed and tested the GPS system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.