Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niterider Moab....should I buy it?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Low_Rider 
#1 ·
Hi riders of the night!
I am about to purchase a Niterider Moab. I have been scrounging around the internet for reviews and prices etc... found the most info here at MTB. I have seen both good and bad reviews. I like the amazing run times and the LEDs for climbing. Found a good deal at Price Point for $519.00. Have been saving up for a few months. Need to save $20.00 more to make purchase.
Any words of woe or wisdom before I sink all my hard earned cash into this one eyed monster?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bikeface

#2 ·
Well... without knowing too much about the particulars for wanting this...

First, ask do you REALLY need this? I only ask because for most cases you don't need the million hours (yea I know, it's an exaggeration) of light from the MOAB system--instead you can get a system with the same light and smaller battery for cheap. But then again, I'm not too sure about your riding style.

With that said, I do have a L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra. I do about 4-6 races a year in the 12-24 hour format and it's nice not having to worry about getting the battery charged between each lap. So yea, it's all about the style, and it comes down to whether it's a matter of necessity or unjustified want.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Since you mentioned the L&M, I started looking more closely at them. seems most people find L&M more reliable than niterider. Now I am very tempted by the Arc Li-Ion Ultra! HMMMMM. I did a 12 hour race last Summer and loved it. So want to do more and try a two man 24 hour deal. So that is why I am looking at the long running lights. Thanks for metioning L&M, I think it may be a better way to go.:cool:

Happy riding,
Bikeface

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Bikeface,

The LED’s in the Moab provide very little light, and are pretty useless for anything in my opinion. I won’t say any more on the Nite Rider reliability comment, but there are many documented cases here on MTBR as you may have noticed.

I don’t want to discourage you, but as you seem to have just found out I think it would be well worth having a bit more of a read and consider looking at a few other manufacturers too. There are plenty of capable lights out on the market which provide great value for money. :thumbsup:

Keep on reading and asking questions, and it’s always nice to try and ride with a few various lights to get an idea of what’s what! ;)

Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.