Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

'Hidden" feature of 76CSx

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeDee 
#1 ·
(The actual Setup page has a button not in the manul)

Under the Setup menu for Tracks is a Data Card Setup button and under that an option to log the track to the data card. It seems that the unit logs the active track to the data card and creates a file for each day. The best part is no loss of data unlike the usual save track function that approximates points and drops time!

To upload the data the micro card must be put into a card reader but that's a small inconvenience for never losing a track.

#2 ·
They added this feature to the 60csx firmware a few months ago. If you download the latest manual it's documented. They also added a feature to the 60csx so the memory card in the GPS can appear as a USB disk drive. You can use that feature to get the track files off the card without having to take it out of the GPS and put it in a card reader.

#3 ·
MtbMacgyver said:
They added this feature to the 60csx firmware a few months ago. If you download the latest manual it's documented. They also added a feature to the 60csx so the memory card in the GPS can appear as a USB disk drive. You can use that feature to get the track files off the card without having to take it out of the GPS and put it in a card reader.
You can also use Mapsource to download from the GPS directly into it. It downloads tracks stored in the internal memory and saved tracks on the card at the same time.

#4 ·
MtbMacgyver said:
Thanks, Garmin updated the 76's firmware but not the manual. I had to download the 60's manual to get the USB info. :)

#5 ·
MikeDee said:
You can also use Mapsource to download from the GPS directly into it. It downloads tracks stored in the internal memory and saved tracks on the card at the same time.
.gpx track files stored on the trans-flash card aren't the same as "saved" tracks. The .gpx track files let you create track logs bigger than the 10K point logs stored in internal memory. You have to have firmware version 3.0 or newer on the 60csx to create .gpx track logs on the trans-flash card.

I haven't seen a way to download the .gpx files in mapsource, but if it's possible I'd love to know how.

#6 ·
MtbMacgyver said:
.gpx track files stored on the trans-flash card aren't the same as "saved" tracks. The .gpx track files let you create track logs bigger than the 10K point logs stored in internal memory. You have to have firmware version 3.0 or newer on the 60csx to create .gpx track logs on the trans-flash card.

I haven't seen a way to download the .gpx files in mapsource, but if it's possible I'd love to know how.
I have a Vista Cx, so maybe my GPS is different, but the track files saved to the card do indeed get loaded into Mapsource during a transfer.

On your first comment, see the first post in this thread about auto-logging tracks to the memory card, which is keen if it works, but I've not tried this yet. Merely saving tracks to the memory card results in loss of many track points and other pertinent data; pretty useless, in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.