Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Niterider HID ballast/bulb issues

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Homebrew 
#1 ·
I have a 4-5 year old Niterider HID. It's been back to Niterider countless times for issues. I've had bulbs replaced, electronic work done, you name it...but all under warranty. About a month ago my battery started going bad...so I got a replacement from batteryspace. Easy enough. Good power, long burn times again. I used it two or three times and now my light won't turn on.

I call Niterider and described the symptoms....red light comes on, little clicking noises run for a second or two...but no light. Niterider thinks it's the ballast (Welch-Allyn). They don't sell the ballast alone...I have to send it in and have them do the work and it's at least a $70-90 repair job.

Is there anyplace I can get a ballast...or have mine repaired for less $$....$70-90 seems like a lot to spend on an old light after I just spent $60 on a new battery. Or do I just need to pony up the $ and send it in. And if it is the ballast...who know how long the bulb will last after I get the ballast replaced. Thoughts???

#3 ·
Do you know anyone else that has a similar NR light that you could swap parts with? That would help troubleshoot anyway. The ballasts aren't cheap, probably close to $60. Google around though, you may be able to find a cheaper source. Try Trail Tech also. They typically sell HID parts for less than NR.

#6 ·
Walt Dizzy said:
Did you check the battery? Batteryspace generally has good stuff, however their Li-ion cells have a way of dying suddenly.

Walt
Good thought. But I got a replacement NiMH battery...and it appears to be fine. I tried my old NiteRider battery (still has some life...but not much) and it gives the same results.

#7 ·
Homebrew said:
Do you know anyone else that has a similar NR light that you could swap parts with? That would help troubleshoot anyway. The ballasts aren't cheap, probably close to $60. Google around though, you may be able to find a cheaper source. Try Trail Tech also. They typically sell HID parts for less than NR.
I've got a bunch of buddies w/ the same light system...so I'll try to troubleshoot...and I'll look into Trail Tech. Thanks.

#8 ·
qtip said:
I've got a bunch of buddies w/ the same light system...so I'll try to troubleshoot...and I'll look into Trail Tech. Thanks.
The 10W Sõlarc datasheet that has the part numbers. You should be able to tell by the wiring colors if the ballast isn't labeled. But I would think you have the B10N003.

http://hi-lux.com/lpd/files/datasheets/ISL305B2.pdf

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.