Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can I convert my Jets to Li-Ion?

859 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jawry 
#1 ·
I am soon to be needing a new battery for my Jet Phantom Single beam & was wondering if I could upgrade. The current battery is a 13.2 volt 3800 mah (whaterverthehell that means).

Is this going to be possible?

Is there going to be an advantage to Li-Ion? More burn time? Lighter?

If the new battery pack is a bit higher voltage, will it work and maybe be brighter or just kill my light?

Any battery gurus want to touch this one? I know absolutely jack about batteries!

Ed

#2 · (Edited)
Li-ion Jet conversion

xray_ed said:
I am soon to be needing a new battery for my Jet Phantom Single beam & was wondering if I could upgrade. The current battery is a 13.2 volt 3800 mah (whaterverthehell that means).

Is this going to be possible?

Is there going to be an advantage to Li-Ion? More burn time? Lighter?

If the new battery pack is a bit higher voltage, will it work and maybe be brighter or just kill my light?

Any battery gurus want to touch this one? I know absolutely jack about batteries!

Ed
1/13/07 Okay, I'll take a stab at this one. I have a Jet Phantom too and was thinking of doing the same thing ( up grading to Li-ion ) The 13.5 volt battery set up is the problem. If you use a 11.1 volt Li-ion battery and buy one of the voltage controlled output batteries from BatterySpace, the output is controlled at 12 volts (near peak voltage) which should power the light fine but not be quite as bright as the original 13.5 volt powered light. You might or might not be able to tell the difference, it depends on how discerning you are. The other option is the 14.8 volt Li-ion battery. However the peak voltage on these are around 17 volts and that might be a little too much to over volt a standard set up. My (Jet) light has the ( 3-level ) smart switch in it. Some have posted that with the smart switch set up you can run the 14.8 volt battery but the people at Jet told me (a while back) that the smart switch set up can only handle up to 14 volts. I think a 17 volt (peak) would be pushing it a bit and might fry the chip within the smart switch (IMO). BatterySpace does make a 14.8 volt Li-ion with a built in regulator that has a 13.5 volt setting. This would work great however the battery is encased in aluminum ( or hard plastic...not sure ) and this makes the battery much heavier than the standard 14.8 volt Li-ion set ups. Oh how I wish BatterySpace would make a battery with the chip built-in controlling the output to 14 volts....that would be ...SWEET. Oh, I forgot to mention that some of the BatterySpace 14.8 volt Li-ion (bike batteries) DO HAVE A CONTROLLED OUTPUT...but it is a little high at 16 volts I think...:skep: ...Just checked it 16 volts it is. If you don't have the smart switch set up I would go with the 11.1 volt Li-ion set up. It should run fine and you should get longer run times if you use a 4800 mha (milla. Amp hour ) or larger, just not as bright. ( Note: The controlled output (16v) 14.8 Li-ion battery would work and be super bright but the bulb (or control circuits if you have a smart switch) might not last very long and burn out before long....but boy I bet if would be BRIGHT! IMO I don't think it a good idea to over-volt at more than 2 volts...anyway, that said I might just try one of 14.8 (controlled output) Li-ion batteries myself.

#4 ·
Just to add to my previous post...

...i emailed JET regarding uncontrolled/unregulated 14.8v Li-Ion batteries and Jim replied that it would be fine and the switch would handle it. He says they have tested the lights with uncontrolled 14.8v Li-Ion.

Cheers,

Jawry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.