Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Light for Night riding.....?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  helexia23 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a new light for night riding.....any thoughts or recommendations?

I've been using NiteRider Evo 2, but it's not cutting it anymore, so I was considering Jet lite or Light & Motion....any feedback on any these?

Where's Padre? I know you're a fan of Light & Motion....which model are you & Madre using?

I'm doing 24Hr. of Old Pueblo in Feb, so I need a good light.

tks.

#7 ·
Low_Rider said:
There are a number of posts covering these manufacturers, it would be well worth having a search and a read. While nowhere near comprehensive there is a collection of lighting manufacturer links here which may be of interest too. ;)

Dave.
Dave,

Tks for the link...I'll check it out, although I think I'm leaning at the Light & Motion ARC. I've heard good feedback on quality & etc...:thumbsup:

Cheers-
Scott

#8 ·
I ride in darkness and rain on a regular basis. I use a NightHawk brand Phoenix Dual setup and haven't had any significant issues with it. The Ni-Mh battery pack is sort of heavy, but it attaches to the frame easily with the myriad of velcro it comes with. The lights are top notch and I haven't had any issues with them for 4 years. One is 10W and the other is 20W. I almost never use them together anymore because battery life gets sketchy when using a full 30W and it doesn't seem to provide any better illumination. The cabling is also first rate, but I've had problems with the bar mounted switch getting too wet and acting funny before. Somehow, that problem hasn't resurfaced for many years now. Also, the bar mount for the headlamps doesn't accomodate my riser bar since it gets really fat near the stem. This is still a problem for me.

#9 ·
Have you had a look at the Lupine Edison 5 ? I've been using mine for nearly 2 years and it's a nearly perfect little package. Small battery with about 4-5 hours runtime. Quick charge time too. Fantastic bright, great beam reach (cars actually flash you to turn it down) and pattern and no fiddly fixing to bars either. Amazing.

ziegi

#11 ·
Lume Lighting

I chose Lume Lighting after riding with about 10 people at night who all had lights. There was this one guy who never turned his off, ultra bright white light, and great beam pattern. I said at that point that is the light I wanted. I purchased one shorty after that and have been using it for 2 years now, not a problem. We purchased a 2nd set for my girlfriend. The price is around $300 for 10 watt HID with a true 3.5 hour burn time. www.lumelighting.com

db

#12 ·
I'm riding with a Jet Lites Phantom SB 20w system. It's about as bright as an HID without all the hassles of HID (expensive ballasts, "spool up" time to attain max. brightness, and the necessity to keep 'em on due to delays in starting them up again after being shut down). I really like HID and the technology looked good, but the costs far outweigh the benefits for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.