Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fat Chance BB Spindle

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Fillet-brazed 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am rebuilding a first year Yo Eddy and I would like a BB. As many of you know this bike has a press fit BB. Bearings are available, as they are standard industrial sizes, but the spindle is a problem. I have the original spindle, but if anything ever happens I would be totally screwed, so I trying to get a spare or two before I go forward. I currently have two choices:

1) Find a spindle that works so I have a spare to put my mind at ease

2) Have the frame builder that is doing the restoration replace the BB shell with a 68mm threaded shell

Any body know of a BB spindle that works on this frame?

Thanks in advance for your help.

elephant

#2 ·
elephant said:
Hello All,

I am rebuilding a first year Yo Eddy and I would like a BB. As many of you know this bike has a press fit BB. Bearings are available, as they are standard industrial sizes, but the spindle is a problem. I have the original spindle, but if anything ever happens I would be totally screwed, so I trying to get a spare or two before I go forward. I currently have two choices:

2) Have the frame builder that is doing the restoration replace the BB shell with a 68mm threaded shell

elephant
action tec and phil both make spindles although they are slightly larger in diameter than the spindles that Fat used. This doesnt pose a problem as you just get a bearing with the proper ID.

I dont think you need to worry about keeping a spare spindle on hand unless you weigh 300+ pounds.

#5 ·
Thanks for the incredibly quick replies!

I can use a Phil press fit BB no problem? That would great so I can get titanium if the mood strikes me.

If so then I will buy a couple extra just in case.

Any suggestion on length? The original is 122.5mm. I am using Cooks RSR with 24/34/44 rings. Also I have changed to 9sp cassette.

Thanks again.

#6 ·
elephant said:
Thanks for the incredibly quick replies!

I can use a Phil press fit BB no problem? That would great so I can get titanium if the mood strikes me.

If so then I will buy a couple extra just in case.

Any suggestion on length? The original is 122.5mm. I am using Cooks RSR with 24/34/44 rings. Also I have changed to 9sp cassette.

Thanks again.
that Phil link just shows spindles. The original Fat spindles are 5/8" OD, whereas the Phil spindles are 17mm. Just get a different bearing and it will work.

Not sure on what the RSR would need but it should use a narrower spindle than any crank from 1990. Probably around 112 is what you'll need.

#8 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
that Phil link just shows spindles. The original Fat spindles are 5/8" OD, whereas the Phil spindles are 17mm. Just get a different bearing and it will work.

Not sure on what the RSR would need but it should use a narrower spindle than any crank from 1990. Probably around 112 is what you'll need.
The crank was purchased when the bike was first built. I believe it was the first year for the RSR crank as well. Bike Pro shows this crank as taking a 122.5 BB. Seems long to me but what do I know?

What are other Yo Eddy owners using? 123mm?

#9 ·
elephant said:
The crank was purchased when the bike was first built. I believe it was the first year for the RSR crank as well. Bike Pro shows this crank as taking a 122.5 BB. Seems long to me but what do I know?

What are other Yo Eddy owners using? 123mm?
oh yeah, I had the RSR mixed up with that newer Cook Bros crank. Yep, your old spindle length should be fine.

#10 ·
Yo~

elephant said:
Hello All,

elephant
I have a first year Monster Fat sittin' in my garage with a spindle in it if'n you is interested?

#13 ·
Decision:

I am having a new 68mm BB shell brazed into the bike. After looking around it seems press fit BB will be annoying at best. Finding bearings is easy but spindles are tougher and collars are even worse. The bearings I have found do not have the retainer rings that stop the bearings from moving around so I would have to rely on locktite and pressure. Also, the fact that any problem with the press fit BB would entirely up to me to fix as almost no shops have tools or parts.

The bike is being completely repainted and decaled so it is too easy to just fix the BB problem now and never have to worry about it again. The price difference is so small it does not make sense to not do it.

Thanks for all your help.

#15 ·
elephant said:
Decision:

I am having a new 68mm BB shell brazed into the bike. After looking around it seems press fit BB will be annoying at best. Finding bearings is easy but spindles are tougher and collars are even worse. The bearings I have found do not have the retainer rings that stop the bearings from moving around so I would have to rely on locktite and pressure. Also, the fact that any problem with the press fit BB would entirely up to me to fix as almost no shops have tools or parts.

The bike is being completely repainted and decaled so it is too easy to just fix the BB problem now and never have to worry about it again. The price difference is so small it does not make sense to not do it.

Thanks for all your help.
I'd be interested in your bearings and spindle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.