Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Highline vs Gran Mal

2K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  East Coast Bender 
#1 ·
Well its the time of year when people start looking for new goodies, and hopefully for many of you Santa was kind and your stockings got stuffed.

Im looking for my first freeride frame that I can take some 4-6 foot drops, ride the occasional downhill (not a racer), but still be a frame that is reasonable to pedal now and again.

I have a 5.5" all mountain frame (Giant VT) that does what I need for general cross country riding and takes the occasional drop, but Im looking for something to advance into more freeriding with.

The Highline seemed to get some great accolades at interbike this year, but costs more coin. I found a used Gran Mal for $900 and she looks to have very similar geometry. I am 6'1 and 190 lbs with a 33 inch inseam.

Any thoughts from owners or folks who have ridden both?

Thanks in advance and best wishes for 2007 (damn it got here quick!)

Travis

#2 ·
Tybalt said:
Well its the time of year when people start looking for new goodies, and hopefully for many of you Santa was kind and your stockings got stuffed.

Im looking for my first freeride frame that I can take some 4-6 foot drops, ride the occasional downhill (not a racer), but still be a frame that is reasonable to pedal now and again.

I have a 5.5" all mountain frame (Giant VT) that does what I need for general cross country riding and takes the occasional drop, but Im looking for something to advance into more freeriding with.

The Highline seemed to get some great accolades at interbike this year, but costs more coin. I found a used Gran Mal for $900 and she looks to have very similar geometry. I am 6'1 and 190 lbs with a 33 inch inseam.

Any thoughts from owners or folks who have ridden both?

Thanks in advance and best wishes for 2007 (damn it got here quick!)

Travis
I have a highline, and a riding bud has the GM. Both are very capable for going huge. You don't sound like you're planning on anything huge....why not a lighter more pedal friendly steed? Bottlerocket, Nomad, RFX...?

#3 ·
jubilee said:
I have a highline, and a riding bud has the GM. Both are very capable for going huge. You don't sound like you're planning on anything huge....why not a lighter more pedal friendly steed? Bottlerocket, Nomad, RFX...?
Exactly!! I think that the GM would be quite difficult to pedal around all day. With its 16 inch seat tube, you will have loads of post sticking out to keep from chewing on your knees.:p Besides that, its quite heavy. That said, I really like the looks of the GM and have contemplated buying one myself.:thumbsup:

I would second jubilee's statment about looking at the BR, Nomad, and RFX. You should be able to still find an 06 RFX in your size and you will really like the pricing. It is a very capable bike and can handle the riding that you want to do and then some. Oh, yea. I have an RFX and love the thing. Worth a look.

#5 · (Edited)
The highline and the gm look similiar but ride differently. off the top of my head you will feel the highline has a lighter chassis than a similiar built gm. both can handle, both can pedal, both have travel options, but the highline is a little better in the all arounds.

For your first freeride frame the gran mal will easily rock the dh and the fr runs.

Overall the Highline will cost you more coin, but it is a top of the line frame mang, very very nice. The Gran Mal is more in the mid range somewhere compared to a highline.

I owned a GM 4months. then rode a highline... next week I bought a highline and sold the GM. it was that much better imo.

#15 ·
Largextracheese said:
What are you complaining about? You've got a Gran Mal. I'm just spreading E-rumors!
...now on to the Ellsworth board! ;)
LOL! I saw this thread earlier and figured I'd wait for the haters to reply.;) :devil:

They are both great bikes, and not really as similar as the pictures would make one think.

I'd suggest the highline, unless you weigh over 220lbs. Then you should probably go with a demo-8 with ghey paint and wear matching panties. ;)

#17 ·
bwahhhh!

I knew the peanut gallery would stop in (FM). I'm just bustin' yer chops. I must admit that the highline is a purdy bike. I half thought about getting one after seeing your's FM, but alas I didn't want to walk down through the woods late at night and huddle around the fire ring in order to be initiated into the cult. ;) "Do you swear your soul to Turner?" "Do you swear to uphold the sanctity of the brand on every related forum known to man?" "Do you solemnly swear to love Turner in sickness and in health?" "Good times and the bad?" "do you swear to inherit the soul of James Brown and spread the gospel to all your brethren?"
...............I now pronounce you man and bike. :p

#18 ·
Largextracheese said:
I knew the peanut gallery would stop in (FM). I'm just bustin' yer chops.
Keep on hatin', hater. :ciappa:

Back to the original poster- I agree with others, based on your needs I'd be lookin' at a intense 6.6 with a burly build, or an RFX, or maybe the new Giant reign-X. All sweet rides that will be plenty burly and more nimble than the gran mal or highline. These bikes both have longer wheelbases and slacker angles that rock for FR/DH (regardless of drop size) but require a bit more work for trail riding.

Oh yeah- another super sweet ride to check out- the new devinci hektik!

#19 ·
FM said:

Back to the original poster- I agree with others, based on your needs I'd be lookin' at a intense 6.6 with a burly build, or an RFX, or maybe the new Giant reign-X. All sweet rides that will be plenty burly and more nimble than the gran mal or highline. These bikes both have longer wheelbases and slacker angles that rock for FR/DH (regardless of drop size) but require a bit more work for trail riding.

Oh yeah- another super sweet ride to check out- the new devinci hektik!
I agree with FM that a bike like the 6.6, RFX, Reign X, Iron Horse 6 point series, SX trail, Nomad, etc. will all be a better all-around bike and will easily be able to handle 5-10 foot drops (to tranny). If you're hell-bent on a Transition, the Dirtbag would be a better 'trail bike' than the Gran Mal due to the slightly lighter frame and shorter wheelbase and could still be occasionally raced. I love my Gran Mal, but it's a lot of bike to take on trail rides.....

EB

#20 ·
FM said:

Holy carp. It's a PNW crew-fest.

:rockon: :cornut:

#25 ·
Thanks

jubilee said:
NOT!!! :lol:
Thanks all for your advise. I understand that the RFX 6.6 etc may be better all around bikes but I really am looking for something more Freeride specific......it seems as if the Highline is the fav at least with the Kazakistani tribes:D

I too may have to join in with the Turner matrimony, anyone have anything negative to say about the Highline? *ducks*:eekster:

Best wishes in 2007

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.