Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone know if Hope floaters work with Formulas?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  robdamanii 
#1 ·
Looking to use Hope floating rotors on my bike (Tired of getting rust on the arms of the formula rotors, and not being able to get it off), and wondering if they actually work on there.

#4 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Yeah, the carrier and those rivets stick way out. I had to grind on my adapter so it'd clear with my J7s. You may need to remove some material from the caliper too. I've seen a couple filed Shimano calipers.
Hay Son Merry Xmass & the most awesome New Year ever. :band:

Give Mom & the Kittys a hug from me, stay Cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:

G
#9 ·
RaD said:
I belive Formula makes their own floating disc in '07.
It might be a 9"(!)disc but I don't know that for shure.

Later
RaD
That is our new 220mm floating rotor. The floating rotor weighs in at the same weight as the one piece 200, but is ginormous.

As far as Hope rotors go, I don't think they fit with our calipers. There is interference with the rivets on the rotors.

- Greg

#11 ·
Mine works

Ok, I couldn't bear to give up my Hope floating rotors so I've trued them on with my Puro. So far so good, the rivet-caliper clearance is roughly 1mm. Will have to monitor overtime, but keeping my fingers crossed it'll work out in the long run. So far I've tried them on a knolly singletrack run without any issues. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
kevinox73 said:
Ok, I couldn't bear to give up my Hope floating rotors so I've trued them on with my Puro. So far so good, the rivet-caliper clearance is roughly 1mm. Will have to monitor overtime, but keeping my fingers crossed it'll work out in the long run. So far I've tried them on a knolly singletrack run without any issues. :thumbsup:

When your pads wear down, the rivets from the rotor will catch on the bottom edge of the pads backing plate, atleast they did with my Moto 6 discs. You can get round this by always running new-ish pads or remove 1-2 mm from the plate every time you fit new pads, or just go back to steel discs!

#13 ·
A MAN CALLED HORSE said:
When your pads wear down, the rivets from the rotor will catch on the bottom edge of the pads backing plate, atleast they did with my Moto 6 discs. You can get round this by always running new-ish pads or remove 1-2 mm from the plate every time you fit new pads, or just go back to steel discs!
Thanks, will bear that in mind. :D

#15 ·
robdamanii said:
Really can't see too well from that photo how close the clearance is. Is the clearance close with the pads themselves (or the backing plate) or is it the caliper itself that would be a problem?
My concern is with the caliper itself. No issues with the pads and backing plate. The clearance with the caliper is around 1-2mm. So far I've ridden her on a knolly singletrack twice, no issue whatsoever for the moment. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
kevinox73 said:
My concern is with the caliper itself. No issues with the pads and backing plate. The clearance with the caliper is around 1-2mm. So far I've ridden her on a knolly singletrack twice, no issue whatsoever for the moment. :thumbsup:
I'm guessing the part you're concerned with is the arm of the caliper that mounts to the adapter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.