Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Turner or Titus

2K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Green Giant 
#1 ·
I've narrowed my choice of a new steed down to either a Turner or a Titus. The Titus boys say any frame they have will dominate a Turner.

#5 ·
that was my final choice too...titus racerx vs flux...in the end i made my choice on extra cush of the flux, and the unbeatable customer service at turner.

being in arizona, there are a lot of titus bikes around...and people love them. stories of cs and ride quality pre-chris-bail were very positive. as for recent changes in the company...i just don't know...

i do have to say, i am completely satisfied with my flux...it is everything i wanted in a bike and more. i love it! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Titus has a very loyal following just like Turner.
Their bikes are nice looking and great riding, also like Turner.
I won't get into the where they're made thing. Consider that a personal decision.
I won't get into the HL vs SSP debate. If the TNT review thread does not convince you it's a non-issue, no rational arguement will.

The general feedback on the differences between the two brands in similar-class models is: The Titus tend to feel more racy, nimble accelerative. The Turners have a more stable, bring-it-on feel. One will make you feel more gas-it-n-go! the other will make you search for more challenging technical terrain. The magnitude of these differences is influenced by your terrain, and predisposition towards one or the other.

Take some time to clearly define what you think you want out of your next bike now and down the line. Then we can help you compare the personalities between the similar models.

If you're seriously considering a Turner you should also budget for a red couch.:D

#7 ·
Bikezilla said:
I won't get into the where they're made thing. Consider that a personal decision.
I won't get into the HL vs SSP debate. If the TNT review thread does not convince you it's a non-issue, no rational arguement will.

The general feedback on the differences between the two brands in similar-class models is: The Titus tend to feel more racy, nimble accelerative. The Turners have a more stable, bring-it-on feel. One will make you feel more gas-it-n-go! the other will make you search for more challenging technical terrain. The magnitude of these differences is influenced by your terrain, and predisposition towards one or the other.

Take some time to clearly define what you think you want out of your next bike now and down the line. Then we can help you compare the personalities between the similar models.

If you're seriously considering a Turner you should also budget for a red couch.:D
Tharr she be! :thumbsup:

As for T's comment... isn't he helpful??? :yawn:

#8 ·
Bikezilla said:

Wow, some objectivity......that was a good expanation, Zilla. Nice restraint too!! ;)

#10 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that Titus post-Chris Cocalis has now raised the prices of their Taiwanese made frames to the point where those guys on that board can't argue the savings anymore. Basically, they are in domestically built pricing, but with Taiwanese manufacture.
I am not trying to be antagonistic and I am ignorant about manufacturing processes but I do wonder why you consider this a strong argument - If I think about cars I would much rather have a car made in Asia Pacific rather than America. Why do you believe American made bike frames are so much better? I bought my Turner cos of how it rides and the CS not because of where it was built.

#11 ·
Since I just made the switch from a 2005 Moto-lite to the 2006 RFX...I'll chime in.

The moto-lite is a little more XC'ish than the RFX, but still pretty strong. On my Moto-lite, I switched the chainstays to the FR ones for better tire clearance...but still have to use the normal seatstays. Using a 2.35" nevegal on the rear, I would still have a little buzz on the seatstay of the Moto-lite when taking hard corners. This has definitely been remedied with the RFX since it'll supposedly take 2.7" tires. While my RFX is slightly heavier than the Moto-lite....it is still 31.34lbs with pedals, so that's not too bad. The strength of the frame and tire clearance are definitely plusses and worth the trade-off on the slight weight difference.

I have never ridden a 5-spot to compare to the Moto-lite....so sorry I can't give those comparisons. I personally don't like the looks of the El Guapo and would definitely prefer a 2006 RFX compared to it. I also am not too hot on the 2007 RFX either as it appears to be a 6-spot trail bike instead of a light duty FR bike. But those are just my opinions.

#12 ·
At this level there are only going to be subtle difference in the ride as both make great bikes. Carefully check the fit and go with what you really want. If you post up which bikes you're looking at, the pundits can dissect and ANALize further.

#14 ·
wilks said:
I am not trying to be antagonistic and I am ignorant about manufacturing processes but I do wonder why you consider this a strong argument - If I think about cars I would much rather have a car made in Asia Pacific rather than America. Why do you believe American made bike frames are so much better? I bought my Turner cos of how it rides and the CS not because of where it was built.
Not a fan of american automotive myself, but the build of the American bikes in this category can't be denied.

Someone here put it:

"Manufacturers are going overseas to make their bikes and the quality of their laborforce is not their #1 reason for going"

#22 ·
Bikezilla said:

This perfectly sums it up. Both are great, but the Titus is less plush and snappier in its rear suspension geometry and has a bit quicker handling with it's steeper head-tube. You have to decide which ride you like better. Personally, I am not really baised between the brands, I have one Turner and two Titus bikes, but to me, with Chris Coacolis having left Titus, I would no longer buy one of their bikes. In my book Chris is Titus, the same as Dave Turner is Turner bikes. When the soul leaves, the rest will follow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.