Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice on hubs + rims

885 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  max-a-mill 
#1 ·
I am currently using my spare wheelset with deore hubs and Fir rims that I converted for SS use by adding a solid axle and a DX cog with spacers.

I am looking into getting a new set, I'm not in a hurry and the budget is flexible. My frame is an On-One Inbred with horizontal dropouts. It won't take disc's so I am looking for a rimbrake specific hub with a solid axle. I am currently looking at an On-One hub (the double fixed) with a mavic XC717 rim and DT spokes.

I am open to suggestions though: will DT or CK hubs be worth the extra cash? Other rim and or spoke options? Ceramic rims? Are shimano screw on freewheels any good?

See less See more
#2 ·
i am running the on-one hub right now (freewheel). and it really does everything it should perfectly.

in the year i've had it, i have used it both commuting and offroad. it has had zero maintenence issues and still spins as smooth as the day i got it.

if i hade the extra cash for some bling though i'd be checking out the white industires hubs. don't have any, but i've heard good things!

#4 ·
If you want the best singlespeed hubs, look at Phil Wood and White Industries (for threaded) and Chris King (for cassette). I have a set of Phil Woods with a flip-flop rear hub and they are smooth, simple, and built to last.

Check out the Velocity rims. Everyone here that has used them has loved them. The only ones I have are the 700c ones, so I can't say how the mountain rims feel, but they are worth a look.

#5 ·
I should have mentioned that I'm dutch, some parts that are allready expensive in de US are very expensive in Europe. So, even though I I really like them I thnk I'll have to skip on, for instance Chris King Hubs. It 's not that I can't afford them at all but it's mony that I'd rather spread wider/spend more wisely (on my other bikes and possibly another one or a new frame :D There a dutch saying stating that you can only spend your money once...)

So, I'll look into the rims (although I'm not sure if they're readily availleble over here) and I have done some more research on hubs. I think I'll make a choice between the On-one hub, Surly hubs (non-disc, QR up front) or maybe spend some extra money and loose more weight on DT 240 SS hubs...More thoughts on this? Anybody has some experiences they want to share on these :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I have a hope pro II singlespeed/trials hub and it is VERY nice.
I also have a phil wood also very nice but are freewheel specific so you'd have to invest in a white industries freewheel to make it worthwhile.
I also have a spot hub and a surly hub - will do the trick but definately not in the same league as the hope and phil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.