Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1987 Stumpjumper Team

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Schmitty 
#1 · (Edited)
One of my favorite bikes was this Stumpy Team.I took this photo in 1990 right after I bought it from my friend who wanted a Klein Attitude.
This photo was taken in front of my old shop where I started custom painting a few mountain bike frames.I painted a stripped Mountian Goat frame for a customer.
This is the Dave Tesch built bike and from what I knew at the time,was built in limited numbers for Specialized until there was some kind of issue between Tesch and Specialized.
It was a great bike and it handle very well. Dave Tesch always added 'Built for Speed' on the bikes he built. I've been impressed with his bikes and adopted 'Built4Speed' for my screen name.
It was stolen in 1993 and I'm still keeping an eye out for it.I know,I'll never see it again.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have another photo of it with my old collection of bikes but it's kind of hard to see and it's in black and white. This is the only clear photo of the bike.
I plan on painting a newer Stumpjumper this color but I'd like to find the original decals and graphics.

#5 ·
That ' 87 Stumpy Team is on my wish list :cool: Dont think too many were made. Handmade/lugged in US :thumbsup: I'd sure like to know what happend between Tesch and Sinyard.

#6 ·
200 bikes were planned.

From what I read in a review of the Team in a mountain bike magazine years ago, there were supposed to be 200 bikes but less then that were actually built.
A Browning Electric Transmission was tested on the Team which was one detail I do remember.
The Team was a pleasure to own and ride.:p

#11 ·
Schmitty said:
Anyone know the year(s) that the Team was pink? I think it was earlier than one pictured in this thread. Had Rollercams on the cs's. I had one that I got used, and even though it was too big for me, damn that thing just flew! So much fun.
1984 with crappy tire clearance, 1.9" max. :madmax:

#12 ·
Ahh. Thanks for that. Lots of good stuff in '84... that year keeps coming up lately. Yeah, it was tight in the back. Ground Controls.

Any info on who made them? Other history? It was light. In retrospect it was like a road bike with fat tires.

That bike and my Scorcher are the only things I'm pissed I got rid of.

-Schmitty-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.