Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Martas vs. xtr disc w/xt levers?

914 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  1speed_Mike 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with these two disc setups? I'm building a new bike - a HH100x and wanted to know the good and bad points about each. Are the Marta's lighter than xtr, etc. Maintenance is a big issue - the less the better. thanks.

#2 ·
keypocket said:
Anyone have experience with these two disc setups? I'm building a new bike - a HH100x and wanted to know the good and bad points about each. Are the Marta's lighter than xtr, etc. Maintenance is a big issue - the less the better. thanks.
Yes, the Martas are lighter than the XTR/XT set-up. My XTR/XT set-up weighed ~822g/set. The Martas are about 100g/set lighter. I've never used Martas, so I can't comment. But, I did use a set of XTR/XTs (notice the word 'did') for ~6 months.

At first (4 weeks), they were great. But then, the dreaded XTR sticky piston syndrome (SPS) started. SPS causes the pistons/pads to not fully retract when the lever is released. This causes continuous rub. At first, it was just the outboard piston, but soon, the inboard started. Also, at first, it was only the front caliper, but then the rear started, too.

I tried everything to fix the problem. ShimanoUSA said to lube the pistons with a light lube...I used Triflow and didn't notice any improvement. I then removed the pistons and thoroughly cleaned them and the caliper bores. Still, no improvement. I then tried lubing the pistons/seals with Shimano mineral oil...nothing. I then called ShimanoCanada (since I live in Canada) and they were well aware of the problem and recommended NOT lubing the pistons (as recommended by ShimanoUSA), but instead to use White Lightening Clean Streak. Nothing. So, I finally warrantied my calipers and had new ones back within a couple weeks. I sold them.

Now, even with the SPS, the brakes were pretty nice. Power was really good, but they were a tad touchy. I was using one resin and one metallic pad per brake.

#3 ·
so, do you wish you had v-brakes instead of discs.

That's what I'm worried about. That the discs all work great for awhile - but then they suck. Rub and need bled, etc. V-brakes are pretty easy to keep up. I'm torn about this whole disc thing.

1speed_Mike said:
Yes, the Martas are lighter than the XTR/XT set-up. My XTR/XT set-up weighed ~822g/set. The Martas are about 100g/set lighter. I've never used Martas, so I can't comment. But, I did use a set of XTR/XTs (notice the word 'did') for ~6 months.

At first (4 weeks), they were great. But then, the dreaded XTR sticky piston syndrome (SPS) started. SPS causes the pistons/pads to not fully retract when the lever is released. This causes continuous rub. At first, it was just the outboard piston, but soon, the inboard started. Also, at first, it was only the front caliper, but then the rear started, too.

I tried everything to fix the problem. ShimanoUSA said to lube the pistons with a light lube...I used Triflow and didn't notice any improvement. I then removed the pistons and thoroughly cleaned them and the caliper bores. Still, no improvement. I then tried lubing the pistons/seals with Shimano mineral oil...nothing. I then called ShimanoCanada (since I live in Canada) and they were well aware of the problem and recommended NOT lubing the pistons (as recommended by ShimanoUSA), but instead to use White Lightening Clean Streak. Nothing. So, I finally warrantied my calipers and had new ones back within a couple weeks. I sold them.

Now, even with the SPS, the brakes were pretty nice. Power was really good, but they were a tad touchy. I was using one resin and one metallic pad per brake.

#4 ·
Once you go disk, chances are you will never go back.
Although Mike did not have success with the XTR, theres still plenty of people that love them. Apparently that problem is fixed.
If weight is a concern, go Marta.
Both are really good brakes from what I have heard. Theres also a couple more options, Formular mame good light weight brakes, and Hopes new mono mini is getting good reviews.
I personally use Hayes, but that is cause I'm poor and can't afford to replace them. But they are way better then my V brakes in nearly every aspect(besides weight I guess).

#5 ·
1speed_Mike said:

Exact same experience here. And I have had mine replaced - both front and rear XTR calipers . Again I think I am back to square one with my rear caliper. If they get replaced they are getting sold.

The Shimano disk brakes are great from a bleeding point of view, and modulation isn't too bad what so ever but the reliability of the XTRs is something that in my experience remains to be seen.

#6 ·
keypocket said:
That's what I'm worried about. That the discs all work great for awhile - but then they suck. Rub and need bled, etc. V-brakes are pretty easy to keep up. I'm torn about this whole disc thing.
Well, I've owned and raced on lots of discs and this was an exception. The older XTR calipers were known to have issues and Shimano was excellent about warrantying them and have a new caliper available which *should* help. So, don't let my XTR SPS steer you away from discs. Going to discs 6-yrs ago was the best decision I made...well worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.