Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Step by Step on how to change inner tube?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AusMTB Orienteer 
#1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone put up information for changing the inner tube?
maybe step by step with photos?

thanks,
Po

#2 ·
First remove the wheel from the bike. If you don't want to open up the brakes, you will need to get all the air out of the tire and then squeeze the tire to move it past the brake pads.

Once you get the wheel off bike, make sure you get as much air as possible out of the tube, to make it easier to get the tire lever started under the tire bead.
Once you get the tire lever started under bead, just run the lever completely around the rim so that you have one side of the tire off the rim, and then just pull the tube out.

When you get ready to put the new tube in, pump just a bit of air into it to make it easier to tell if it's getting twisted while you are putting it on the rim underneath the tire.

To put the tube onto the rim, start at the valve hole and just tuck it up under the tire all the way around, then the just work your way around the rim again pushing the tire back onto the rim.

If you did not release the brakes to get the tire off, just put the wheel back on, squeeze the tire opposite the valve so you can get the pump head onto the valve, and inflate.

Once you change out the first tube, you will see there is really nothing to it.

If you don't have a tire lever, just go to Walmart and get either just the tire levers sold in packs of 3, or the Bell patch kit which includes patches and levers.

#4 ·
You don't want to use a screwdriver on your wheel. Very bad idea.

Tire levers are plastic and very cheap. If you don't have access to a tire lever and can't get one, always use plastic and never metal for removing the tire.

I do know it's possible to remove the tire with no tools at all, but I have no idea how to correctly do it.

#5 ·
depends on your rim.
a good trick I learned was if your tyre has a coloured logo for the manufacturer, line that up with the inner tube, it makes repairing punctures on the track easier when looking for pins, metal etc that might have caused the blow out.
ask around local LBS's Mine does a course every thursday in beginner bike maintenance, including changing tyres, parts of a bike and chain repairs. using different bikes as an example. (we ended up comparing a low end trek, my full sus and a good road racer to see the comparisons in tech etc, very informative) they also do a more advance course once a month which I am planning on getting to next week if I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.