Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DHX 5.0 AIR VS Coil

804 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  boone 
#1 ·
is the dhx 5.0 AIR just as capable as a coil over rear shock? does the feel of a dhx air feel alot smoother then a coil for downhilling and a tad of freeriding?? cause i got an 06 7.5 and the 06 7.9 has the dhx air 5.0 and i was just wondering... im bored at school and i probably made a stupid thread, but i just wanted to know :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Yes and no. I've used a pair of DHXAa and DHX coils. There are so many variables it's hard to qualify. Some bike suspension designs work a little more compliantly with the DHXA over the coil...some don't. The more falling rate a design has, the less it works well with a DHXA. The DHXA is very "soft" in the middle stroke portion of the shock. This usually works quite well for aggressive trail riding, even with some decent "air" thrown in along the way, but for heavier riders or extremely aggressive riders the DHXA may not provide enough support. Even though I've had really good results with my DHXAs on my Bullit and Nomad, I think a coil is probably better overall for really heavy riders (well over 200lbs.), "really" aggressive trail riding, and true DH/FR. In all honesty I think most riders would be very happy with the DHXA in most cases. It just won't do it all for everyone.

#3 ·
I've been back and forthing a DHX air and coil on my Turner Highline and prefer the overall feel of the coil. I'm 145lbs. and I bottom out the air often. Trying to tune the shock to eliminate the BO isn't happening either.

The coil just feels better when riding. It sags into a better spot, and feels like it provides better support through the stroke. The coils rebound is lots slower too, the faster rebound of the air can be a problem on steeps.

Maybe the lighter weight of the air helps for jumping, but I haven't found anything yet that makes me want that air shock on there. I've just done a week on the air again, and will switch back to the coil soon but I don't think I'll miss the air.

#4 ·
I have only used the DHX A - and yes it also goes through the travel quite easily. Although, I have yet to bottom it and realize that I bottomed (on the trail). Another words, no harsh bottoming out. I have used the Swinger 4way and 6way. I see it this way, my bike says I should be getting 7" of travel - I want every inch of that stated travel! On the other hand, the only way I know I have bottomed out (simply used all of my travel) is b/c the sag ring is off the shaft. With that said, how can you tell if you bottom a coil? - A huge thud? That would seemingly be the case with an air shock as well. I have never bottom my DHX A and knew it. I freeride (10 - 15 ft drops often) I dh as much as I can get away (living in Fl).

I admit that the DHX A lacks the mid stroke stiffness I experience with coils - But I have yet to really notice a significant difference between the coil/air. Basically, I want to use all of my travel and not bottom harshly. That is what I want from my shock - is using all of your travel that bad:confused: Not to me. As long as it not harsh and has some progression at the end of the travel. My 2cents.

Please chime in with any thoughts.
peace

#5 ·
Dirtman. I agree with what you said.
I have run a dhx air on a smaller travel AM/light freeride bike and LOVED it. That said I am about to test a dhx air on a longer travel bike.
Anyway, I really liked how I could tell if I bottomed wrong. I could feel it and see the ring was off. After tuning a little...I had a couple of times where I thought "damn that was bottom" and it totally wasn't. Even more tuning made it so that the there was no bottom out feel or bouncing the ring off the end. I have to say it has a lot to do with how the shock is tuned but also what susp design you are running. I won't go into detail here as I am sure I would be talking out of my arse :)

Anyway, what little I have had on the dhxair I really liked how it felt!

Booner

airwreck, what do you weigh and what are you running for main chamber and bottom? I am getting a similar bike to the HL and am thinking of putting the dhx air on? Is it possible to adjust the air in any way to make it feel good? Am I correct in thinking the leverage ratio on the shorter HL version is like 2.9:1?

#9 ·
An air shock will be more progressive than a coil. The more you go through your travel on an air shock the more the air will compress and the stiffer it will get towards the end. Unlike coils which aren't all that progressive as far as being able to get stiffer as they go through their travel.

#10 ·
boone said:
airwreck, what do you weigh and what are you running for main chamber and bottom? I am getting a similar bike to the HL and am thinking of putting the dhx air on? Is it possible to adjust the air in any way to make it feel good? Am I correct in thinking the leverage ratio on the shorter HL version is like 2.9:1?
I weigh 145lbs. and I usually carry 10 or more pounds in my pack.
I'm really lazy when it comes to checking air pressures, one reason an air shock is not good for me.

With that said....I've run as high as 180 in the main and 120 in the boost. I've got the BO knob turned to the max and PP to the min. Everytime I put the pump on the boost it reads lower than when I last took it off. 180 puts my sag in the 20% zone, I like 30%.

And, no, it is not possible for me to adjust the air to make it work correctly. I can make it feel "good", as long as my wheels are on the ground. I really can't complain about the DH performance, it's the landings that I don't like. When I sit on the bike, the coil just feels better, when I'm rolling I don't think about it, so it can't be that bad.

Correct on the leverage ratio. The big thing to remember is that the suspension design of the frame is what really makes the difference. I'm not very knowledgable in that area so I can't say anything. I certainly wouldn't call the air shock on my bike progressive, but I've always considered that more a function of the frame than the shock.

Another thing is 06 vs. 07 dhx air and canister size. Maybe running the smaller can on my shock would help.

I can say that I have bottomed that shock hard literally hundreds of times and the shock and the frame seem to be handling it okay.

Hope that helps.
Definatly would recomend owning both a coil and air, or coil only if it's your only shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.