Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Deciding on Steel HT

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JmZ 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new steel frame around 500.00. So far its going between a few:

• Jamis Dragon
  • Interloc Tempest (Only 300.00 off Jenson)
  • Rocky Mountain Blizzard
  • Cove Handjob

All these poddibles are the 04' year and would probably be bought new (although i would like to find a deal on a lightly used one). The first 3 options are made out of the Reynolds 853 tubing but the Cove is Columbus NivaCrom. I am unfamilair with the latter materail, so if anyone could explain the differnces it would help my quest for the perfect frame all that easier. If you have any suggestions please post them it would be greatly apprecited.

#2 ·
I got some advice...

m_verona410 said:
I am in the market for a new steel frame around 500.00. So far its going between a few:

• Jamis Dragon
  • Cove Handjob

All these poddibles are the 04' year and would probably be bought new (although i would like to find a deal on a lightly used one). The first 3 options are made out of the Reynolds 853 tubing but the Cove is Columbus NivaCrom. I am unfamilair with the latter materail, so if anyone could explain the differnces it would help my quest for the perfect frame all that easier. If you have any suggestions please post them it would be greatly apprecited.
Hey dude, definitely go for either the Jamis Dragon or the Interloc....

Here's one i stared related to your problem exactly: steel frames for less:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=21850

Another one I was wondering about: alum or steel?? this might not be as helpful as the previous one but there is some good stuff on it...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=21800

Here is one directly related to your Jamis Dragon choice...I have previously replied on many forums on the subject of my love for teh Jamis Dragon and how much i'd like to get my hands on one...but hte moola is limited lol:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=20990

BTW, the Dragon is made of Reynolds 853 steel, one of the absolute best frame materials you can come across. Good Luck with your choice man!

PS: the fact that you're goin for steelies over alum HT means you got good taste lol...

#7 ·
Jamis Dragon

I went through the same problem a couple years back and have since been riding a Jamis Dragon. I picked up the frame from Jensonusa and built it up with my own parts.

I've also ridden the Blizzard which is also a nice 853 Reynolds frame but was just too short in the top tube for me.

I've not ridden the other two listed.

I wanted a nice 853 frame and for the price the Dragon was the only way to go for me, aside from custom but that would have raised the price quite a bit. I got some test rides in on a Dakota and a shop helped me figure out fit and I placed the order for the Dragon. It has been money well spent in my mind. Fits me great, takes plenty of abuse and rides plenty smooth for a hardtail. I find myself riding it more than my Heckler, for some reason.

Keep an eye in the classifieds here and on ebay. I've seen a few Dragon frames on ebay over the last few weeks here. new and used.

Good luck in the search

#8 ·
Weather forecast....Blizzard!

I can't say enough good things about mine. The feel is just perfect. I love the jamis as well (a friend has one) but I think the Blizz is a little more aggressive in its geometry. I don't find the top tube to be particularly short (I don't have a really long torso though). I use a 110mm stem for xc but want a shorter one now. Anyway, the frame is just awesome.

Between the Jamis and the RM, you probably can't make a bad call. I just happen to like the geometry of the RM a bit better.

#10 ·
Got the Interloc...

Got an Interloc a whiles back. I'm riding the New Prestige instead of the 853, but it's a nice ride. The Interloc's have an older school feeling to 'em. Shorter TT and longer stems seem to be the order of the day with these bikes.

That was perfect for me, wanted a woods bike. Short TT, Longer Stem, and steep head angle.

JmZ

m_verona410 said:

• Jamis Dragon
  • Cove Handjob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.