Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bolt Torque Specifications... wet or dry?

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  B R H 
#1 ·
I know most of you have been using aluminum and ti bolts on your ride. In most applications the torque specs are important to note, especially for aluminum. However, it is recommended to apply ti-prep (anti-seize) to the bolt before installation to prevent "cold welding". My guess is that the specs are designed for " dry " conditions without anti-seize.

Question one...

Would the " wet " torque numbers be the same as the " dry " after the application of ti-prep? Would the " wet " bolt be more prone to slipping or loosening sooner?

Question two...

Is there somewhere on the web, a database perhaps, that offers torque specifications for most applications... seatpost, stem, v-brake bolts, etc.?

#2 ·
Oddly enough I was just looking at a that info today...

in a book I have. There was a table for the required torque of a given size bolt. The book is at work so I can not scan it till monday. If you want you can email me or PM me to remind me. As to the "wet" part I believe that applying any thing such as "anti-seize" compound, lock-tight, etc is considered "wet". Being wet will cause the friction to be less when torquing down on the bolt..

#5 ·
top_ring said:
I know most of you have been using aluminum and ti bolts on your ride. In most applications the torque specs are important to note, especially for aluminum. However, it is recommended to apply ti-prep (anti-seize) to the bolt before installation to prevent "cold welding". My guess is that the specs are designed for " dry " conditions without anti-seize.

Question one...

Would the " wet " torque numbers be the same as the " dry " after the application of ti-prep? Would the " wet " bolt be more prone to slipping or loosening sooner?

Question two...

Is there somewhere on the web, a database perhaps, that offers torque specifications for most applications... seatpost, stem, v-brake bolts, etc.?
The way I understand it, it doesn't matter as far as the torque spec number goes. The torque specs are based on the amount of tension or stretching put on the bolt. That shouldn't change with lubrication. You may reach that amount of stretch sooner without lubrication due to friction, but thats still the amount that the bolt is rated to work best at.

#6 ·
Probably true, but...

the torque you set is more likely to stay that way with lubrication. Imagine a nasty sticky bolt that chatters as you tighten it due to lack of lubrication. It does that because the threads are dry and the bolt is twisting and untwisting (sticking) as you go. Much like spoke nipples when building wheels. You always lube those to help ensure you wheels stay straighter longer right? These things are probably even more important with lightweight parts and with fine thread fasteners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.