Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

kenda small block 8

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr Bling 
#1 ·

Is anyone running this in the rear?

It certainly looks killah. I was wondering about how it would match up to a Maxxis Larsen TT?

Any 2 cents welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Kenda Small Block Eight

I run the 1.95 Small Block Eight front and rear on the trail i ride most. It's an excellent hard pack tire. Fast rolling but still has good cornering, braking and climbing grip. I switched from the Kenda Nevegal to the Small Block Eight for hard pack and was surprised how much faster the SB8 rolls. It's not quite as planted as the Nevegal but on hard pack the speed advantage is well worth it.

MBA gave the SB8 a pretty negative review. They criticized it's performance when there's loose dirt on top of hard pack. All i know is at the trail i ride, which is pure hard pack all summer, it's a fantastic tire. The only other tire i've tried that i like as much for those conditions is the Nokian NBX Lite.

I wouldn't use the SB8 in loose/sandy conditions but that's not what it was designed for. For that i switch back to the Nevegal.

#3 ·
I'm using the 2.35 SB8 in back now instead of the Nev. It rolls much faster and hooks up just as well as the Nev did on hardpack, and even better on rock. But...when things get wet or really loose it's essentially a semi-slick so be prepared for zero traction in these conditions.

The SB8 also weighs quite a bit less than the Nev, so make sure tire pressure is adequate to avoid pinch flats.

#4 ·
I too switched from the Nev. in the rear and the rolling resis. was stellar. I feel the traction on climbing is better than the nev because the ramps are steeper on the 8 and there are more edges to grab but the braking does suffer in the looser conditions. With a little moisture the tire rips on everything but so does almost everything else, add a little more water and things go downhill fast! I keep it on the back only. Be warned, at this weight the casing is really soft and a little extra pressure is needed to offset to prevent pinchflats.

Nate

#7 ·
Mr Bling said:
Thanks guy for the input.
I think I'll try one but I still hesitate between 1.95 and 2.1.
I now run a 2.0 Larsen TT, I guess the 1.95 will work out fine.
I run the 2.1 frt. & 1.95 rr. for racing. The 1.95 has a wider casing, but the 2.1 is wider overall do to taller blocks, the 1.95 is very low profile tread. The 1.95 was 416 grams and the 2.1 was around 466. i switched from the blue grove 2.0 and think the cornering is better in so. cal.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.