Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How not to save some weight

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  MaLoL 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Specialized BG....

i always have to laugh when i see some new gimmick from the Specialized Body Geometry guys....so far everything they promote under that label is pure BS!

i especially like the new rubber inserts in Specialized Carbon road forks and seatposts...cool items that have absolutely no impact on shockasborption in any way...but it looks "cool" and sounds good...

#3 ·
nino said:
i always have to laugh when i see some new gimmick from the Specialized Body Geometry guys....so far everything they promote under that label is pure BS!

Uh, I for one think this is a great idea. I may try some to alleviate the tingling that starts in my hands around the 5 hour mark.

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. I live in a region with very sharp rocks, and the Elcipse/Stans system is unreliable for most who try it. However, that doesnt mean that the product is "pure BS" for someone who lives in a less rocky region.

#4 ·
hmmm...

why should Stans or Eclipse be unreliable?
if you try ultralight tires you are right but those would also flat using tubes, right?
so if you have appropriate thus heavier tires with sealant they will survive as good as any other system.
don't blame the systems - it's your tire choice that was unreliable not the tubelesskits themselves.

there are 1000 ways to make for better comfort already in existence. you don't need any new "fancy" BG parts.

#5 ·
nino said:
if you try ultralight tires you are right but those would also flat using tubes, right?
so if you have appropriate thus heavier tires with sealant they will survive as good as any other system.
don't blame the systems - it's your tire choice that was unreliable not the tubelesskits themselves.

there are 1000 ways to make for better comfort already in existence. you don't need any new "fancy" BG parts.
Despite the fact that you aren't where he lives and don't know his set-up or the evidence leading to the "unreliable" statement, you have a bigger mouth and, clearly, must be correct.

#7 ·
hmmm...

what's the problem?

he said "rocky" area...so the only way i see you get flats is by getting snakebites, cuts in the thread or sidewalls, correct?

so if you use tires that are appropriate for those conditions (NO Conti Supersonics for example) you will have no problems with sealant.it's the tires that are the problem, not the tubelesskits.if he can ride with tubes he can with sealant too. it's as simple as that.

#9 ·
nino said:

Unreliable may have been a bad word choice. Lets try inappropriate. Even with a 650g XC-trail tire cuts are not uncommon. In this case, all the latex gives you is a big mess. For my conditions, homebrew tubeless sucks. End of discussion. That doesn't mean it won't work for you. My original point about the bar tape: don't be so quick to judge the utility of a product based on what seems from your other posts (ie comparing a Turner Nitrous to some euro frame based on its gold color) to be a very narrow range of experience.

#10 ·
that's what i meant...

if you get cuts in 650g tires your best option may be UST tires anyway.the sealant still ads protection from penetrating objects though.

that Turner frame doesn't look all that different and the weight has to be verified.that's all i said back then.

#11 ·
that tape is great.....

Despite the weight and price ( My normally used easton tape costs $15), the tape is actually great. I did a 150 mile ride 2 weekends ago and it was worth it's weight in gold. my hands were not numb after half way through the ride and it actually was very comfortable. The tape was given to me to try out. I would recommend it to anyone who's hand go nump or sore during a ride.

#15 ·
Missing the mark here...

nino said:
....so far everything they promote under that label is pure BS!...
Sure there's a lot of useless products out there, but many of the BG label parts/accessoires have quite some research behind them. Take the shoes for example. The mid-sole/in-sole construction rotates your foot laterally, supposedly helping people with inward-turned knees and the resulting pain. I suffered from this - but opted for a $100 pair of custom soles and a trip to the doctor instead.

Many BG 'solutions' certainly work, but they're not for everybody. It's kind of in the line of "If it ain't broke, why fix it?". Many BG parts are designed to solve a specific problem. If you don't suffer from that problem, I don't think there's a point. Better yet, in some cases (i.e. the shoes) if you don't suffer from inward-turned knees, the shoes may actually CAUSE pain. So that said, maybe Special Ed should market these products as such, and not as a universal solution.

However, that still doesn't render them pure BS.

#16 ·
correct...

agreed that certain people may take profit but Specialized markets these products as "the holy grail" for everyone which as you say in many cases isn't a good thing.

as you said the shoes can actually cause pain...the saddles hurt the bones...the gloves made my hands go numb...the rubber inserts in seatposts and carbon forks do nothing at all....etcetc..

#17 ·
eric said:
Sure there's a lot of useless products out there, but many of the BG label parts/accessoires have quite some research behind them. Take the shoes for example. The mid-sole/in-sole construction rotates your foot laterally, supposedly helping people with inward-turned knees and the resulting pain. I suffered from this - but opted for a $100 pair of custom soles and a trip to the doctor instead.

Many BG 'solutions' certainly work, but they're not for everybody. It's kind of in the line of "If it ain't broke, why fix it?". Many BG parts are designed to solve a specific problem. If you don't suffer from that problem, I don't think there's a point. Better yet, in some cases (i.e. the shoes) if you don't suffer from inward-turned knees, the shoes may actually CAUSE pain. So that said, maybe Special Ed should market these products as such, and not as a universal solution.

However, that still doesn't render them pure BS.
I totally agree eric. BG shoes work great with my feet. I have a friend fisioterapeuthic and he told me. But I´m sure those shoes are a blame for other people. Just thing on the thick sole, it increases height form the pedal axel agout 5 or 6 mm. I had to put the seatpost a few mm. higher. This is definitely not good for a racing shoes and is even worse for people who don´t have this problem on their feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.