Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Crossmax SL brake pulse

947 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ratt 
#1 ·
I recently popped for a set of 2003 Mavic Crossmax SL rim-brake wheels. After a few rides, and some hard braking, I am starting to feel the dreaded "brake-pulse" that I associate with an imperfectly machined braking surface at the rim's weld. I can't see or feel any irregularities with my eyes or fingers, but it sure is there when I ride!

Has anybody else experienced this? Does it go away in time? Or is it truly a manufacturing defect? These wheels have a ceramic braking surface, and I am using Avid Rim Wrangler 2 brake pads. Are these pads ceramic-compatible? If not, could that be part of my problem? Any help is greatly appreciated!
--Wrench

#2 ·
maybe...

maybe you have bent your rim on a rock or something.the slightest irregularity in the rim can be felt while braking.
it's unlikely that the welded joint is the problem as Mavic is usually very perfect in that area.

the standard,black Avid Pads aren't supposed to be used with ceramic coating but still do a great job. however your ceramic coating will get filled by "melted" rubber and will definitely get less powerful in the wet once the ceramic coating is completely filled.it develops a shiny, black coating. in the dry the brakepower is still awesome but in the wet it will suffer.
Kool-Stop has those special, green coloured ceramic pads which won't clog the coating. they wear a bit faster than the black pads though but deliver awesome power wet and dry. so if you don't ride in the wet go on with the pads you have. just replace them from time to time because they tend to get glazed after serious mileage. they almost don't show any wear but because of the glazing surface the power suffers.

to clean your ceramic coating Mavic has that special rimblock.it is a abrasive material that takes out all the debris of the coating but doesn't hurt the ceramic surface.a great way to regain the full advantage of your ceramic rims.i clean them only twice a year.

#4 ·
I was told by my LBS that the coating on the surface is desireable - that it gives you better stopping power over time. They still sold me the Mavic rubber block - but were they just pulling my leg or what? :mad:

Another BS gimmick perhaps? Reference to the Body Geometry posts :D

#5 ·
my experience

Wrenchester said:
I recently popped for a set of 2003 Mavic Crossmax SL rim-brake wheels. After a few rides, and some hard braking, I am starting to feel the dreaded "brake-pulse" that I associate with an imperfectly machined braking surface at the rim's weld. I can't see or feel any irregularities with my eyes or fingers, but it sure is there when I ride!

Has anybody else experienced this? Does it go away in time? Or is it truly a manufacturing defect? These wheels have a ceramic braking surface, and I am using Avid Rim Wrangler 2 brake pads. Are these pads ceramic-compatible? If not, could that be part of my problem? Any help is greatly appreciated!
--Wrench
I agree with nino about the fact that you may have hit something.
I know it is easier to blame a manufactor at first, it has almost becoming a habit in the US these days with the warranty issue etc... I understand futhermore that some manufactors are pretty hesitant to distribute their product in the US especially lightweight one. it is hard to make an ultralight product that would last a life time?!

Anyway, I use these UST wheelset for 4 or 5 years now. as always with ceramic, I use the Shimano ceramic specific pad. they are harder, and give you both a more progressive braking power and won't stuff your rim sides as much as using regular pads.

didier
www.greybicycle.com

#6 ·
I had, (and still have but less) the same problem that Wrenchester talked about, and I can assure you guys that it isnt from rock hits or something else. Is a very constant ""brake pulse"" that seems to have nothing to do with rubber in rims or dirty rims... Mine are a bit better, but that is still there, and it is more proeminent when wet... My wheels did that from day one.

#7 ·
Wrenchester said:

--Wrench
I'm riding on '02 Crossmax and got the pulsing back in '02. Not sure if it went away or i just don't notice it as much. Its due to the super high spoke tension putting a slight warp right at the spoke holes. After you start a wear mark on the rim braking surface you can see the uneven pad contact next to each spoke. If you adjust the pad closer to the tire you will get less pulsing.

If you have green rim wranglers you are fine if not get some ceramic specific pads. I like Shimano XTR pads because they are long lasting and squeal less than the others but they do wear down the ceramic coating quicker. You do have to clean the braking surface from time to time, it gets you some power back and helps cut down on the squeal too.

#8 ·
Kool Stop last longer and are more powerful...

here's a test done by a german bike magazine on different V-brake pads on different rims:
top 3 rims were X517 ceramics with Magura,Kool Stop and XTR Ceramic pads, then there are 3 silver X517 with different pads and last is a CD version of the X517 (anodized).

as you can see in the 2nd column the friction of the Koolstop pad was highest= best (0.64) and in the 3rd column you see how many pads were worn in that given tesrun.all brakes had the same simulation-run with dry and wet braking,sand and dirt etc...so with the Koolstop pads the brakepower is not only the best (often more than 50% better than on regular Aluminium rims!!) but it also last twice as long...and definitely longer than the XTR pad.

to the far right you see the rim wear in millimeters.ceramic rims show no wear...

long live V's on ceramic rims!!

yes - the Shimano ceramic pads are known to wear down the ceramic coating.stay away of them!

!

#10 ·
There were several threads on ceramic pads in the past and everyone had different experiences with all the different pads, which had me wondering about the batch to batch variances in the pads. For me the Kool stops did have a slight braking advantage but they wore out twice as fast as the Shimano pads and the deal breaker was that the were noisier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.