Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

31.8 Handlebars?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  tmb 
#1 ·
Whose's made the jump to over-sized bars? And how much of a diff was there?

I'm thinking about swapping out my Titec Hellbents, the ano blue just looks like ass on the flat black Zion frame. Looking at Bonty's Crowbars or something from Race Face.

T

#2 ·
I've got 31.8mm carbon riser bars and can't tell any difference to any other bar. But something to consider is that some accessories wont fit on the o/s bar. The mount on my off road lights doesn't fit near the middle where I want it, have to mount it up near the brake lever. Also need the new stem to go with the bars so can be a costly exercise.

#5 ·
tmb said:
Whose's made the jump to over-sized bars? And how much of a diff was there?
went big on the new Niner. I'm using their wide 31.8 flat bar, so it's my first time with OS and a return to flats since back in the day. I don't mind the flat bar, after swearing by risers for so long but the OS interface doesn't make any tangible diff that I can tell. I think it has more significance for the hucking crowd, maybe not so much for us XC weiners.

Maybe it's just a way to sell more stuff ;) The OS Thomson stem is pretty though, that's how they get ya.

#6 ·
My SS came with the Thomson X4 and a bar I wasn't too keen on so I swapped it to the Easton EA70 riser. My other bike has the standard Thomson with the Easton riser. No big difference in how the bar feels.
I'd say go with what fits you and works with your 'bling' needs.

#8 ·
I thought that the o/s set-up might be helpful w/ the yanking on the bars that we do on the SS's, but if it's not a noticable difference then I won't spend the money.

I knew I could count on getting the straight poop here. This is a good community to be a part of.

Thanks guys

T

#9 ·
tmb said:
I thought that the o/s set-up might be helpful w/ the yanking on the bars that we do on the SS's, but if it's not a noticable difference then I won't spend the money.

I knew I could count on getting the straight poop here. This is a good community to be a part of.

Thanks guys

T
lets say for a second it is "stronger" by some amount (versus standard 25.4mm). If the strength we get from a good 25.4 bar/stem is more than enough, then is the extra incremental strenght we supposedly get from the 31.8 worth a darn? I think not....but I aint not engineer but I stand by my theory that on paper it may be better but on the trail it aint worth it.

I was actually sort of annoyed with myself when I just bought a 31.8mm stem.....ended up paying double for the 31.8 carbon bars I really wanted when the 25.4 carbon bars could be had for half on sale at 2 different places.

#11 · (Edited)
the geometry of 31.8 mm bars causes them to be more notch sensitive than 25.4 mm bars. same size imperfection on a thinner walled material creates a greater chance of catastrophic failure.

31.8 mm bars may flex less elastically, but 25.4 mm bars are technically less likely to fatigue and less susceptible to damage realted failure mechs (under certain conditions) due to thicker walls.

when it comes to h-bars give me thick wall, please!! i run 22.4 bars, fwiw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.