Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hadley GT hubs

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Walt 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I had good luck w/ mine

I had a set for a couple years. I beat them good, without a wimper. I sold them, and they're still running strong. The rear hub is a little loud, tho - so long as that doesn't bother you, there's no reason not to get them. From everything I've heard, Hadley has good customer service, too.

#3 ·
#4 ·
bad reviews, but...

bad reviews for i believe the 3 pawl system in the rear hub. i think you can get a up-to-date repair for the rear hub that includes just about everything but the hub shell for about $45-50, and it converts it to a 4 pawl engagement mech. that "upgrade" ups the rear hub weight to about 350g. i spoke to someone at hadley who said they shipped ALOT of these hubs out and many haven't complained.

i've also heard that some hubs were lubed at the factory with grease which caused engagement problems (pawls would stick). it's recommended that you use an oil, like slick 50. i think phil's oil would be great as well.

for the front hub, i'd get it. i think i may build one to a salsa delgado 700c rim.

cheers!

3cb said:
There are these GT hubs made by Hadley being sold on ebay (new). Claimed weights are 138g front and 283g rear for $19.99 and $37.99 repectively. Anyone heard about these hubs, or Hadley's in general?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42330&item=3675807512&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36143&item=3675803413&rd=1

#5 ·
The hubs work great.

Advertised weights are accurate. The 4-pawl ones are the ones to avoid, the ones sold by Bensbike or whatever are the 3-pawl version. You will need to take them apart, clean the mechanism, and relube with a light oil, otherwise the hub will die pretty quickly from pawl stickage/shattering. If you service these once a year or so, they're fine.

The front is actually closer to 150 grams, I've weighed the rears as light as 274.

-Walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.