Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help choosing new freeride hardtail!!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  The Dude 
#1 ·
k i have porter with a pike on it and when i run the pike at full travel the bb is to high for my tastes: 14". i am looking at getting a frame with a lower bb and have been looking at the following

santa cruz jackal, but it has a 12.25 bb height with a 451 axle to crown fork and the pike goes up to 522 so i dunno if that would still be lower than my porter at full travel or not

.243 sl frame. is 5 inch fork rated so i think the geo might be what i am looking for

2004 specialized p-bike. but i cant find a frame thats not hammered for sale

azonic fiend. looks like a solid all around freeride hardtail frame.

giant stp, afraid it might be to street oriented.

addict cycles. may be alittle to street oriented as well. but they are only 375!!!

i wish i could find a 14in azonic ds1 or evolution frame i loved the geometry of those things.

any help would be sweet

See less See more
#5 ·
The Dude said:
k i have porter with a pike on it and when i run the pike at full travel the bb is to high for my tastes: 14". i am looking at getting a frame with a lower bb and have been looking at the following

santa cruz jackal, but it has a 12.25 bb height with a 451 axle to crown fork and the pike goes up to 522 so i dunno if that would still be lower than my porter at full travel or not

.243 sl frame. is 5 inch fork rated so i think the geo might be what i am looking for

2004 specialized p-bike. but i cant find a frame thats not hammered for sale

azonic fiend. looks like a solid all around freeride hardtail frame.

giant stp, afraid it might be to street oriented.

addict cycles. may be alittle to street oriented as well. but they are only 375!!!

i wish i could find a 14in azonic ds1 or evolution frame i loved the geometry of those things.

any help would be sweet
The Addict is awesome. It's only an 11 some inch seattube, and has a fairly short TT as well. BB height with dual 24s and the Pike at 140mm is around 12.3" The bike is surprisingly versatile.

The Jackal is a nice bike, but very specific to it's intended application, which is dirtjumping. It does everything else pretty mediocre, but it shines on the dirt.

She's got Saint cranks and other little goodies now, but you get the idea. I've used it for everything I would do on the Coiler it replaced. The frame weighs a hair under 5 pounds, 29.5 pound complete weight. Excellent welds, lots of machining, sweet anodizing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.