Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail Building Madness Pictures

1K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Red Bull 
#1 ·
Been hard at work for the last few days on this line. Lots of bench cut work and boulder moving but it turned out really nice. It's basically a singletrack through a boulder field into a long low double followed by a big stepup over the big boulders. It took about 12 hours digging time to build what you see here, there's a lot more to come from this spot.

From behind, the double and the stepup. I piled that little tree on the left of the first lander pretty hard today before I rode it clean.

The landing is the top of that jagged rock straight ahead. The landing is about waist high, that big boulder is about 8 feet high from the base for reference.

The landing to the stepup.

I'm definitely excited about how this one turned out, expect riding pictures sometime in the future.

See less See more
#5 ·
ThoughtfulPirate said:
Been hard at work for the last few days on this line. Lots of bench cut work and boulder moving but it turned out really nice. It's basically a singletrack through a boulder field into a long low double followed by a big stepup over the big boulders. It took about 12 hours digging time to build what you see here, there's a lot more to come from this spot.

From behind, the double and the stepup. I piled that little tree on the left of the first lander pretty hard today before I rode it clean.

The landing is the top of that jagged rock straight ahead. The landing is about waist high, that big boulder is about 8 feet high from the base for reference.

The landing to the stepup.

I'm definitely excited about how this one turned out, expect riding pictures sometime in the future.
Niyeeece. Everytime you build a new trail it get's better and better. Too bad about your highway spot, hopefully this one is hidden enough to where you guys can sesh without loosing it. I really like how you guys build it to the landscape, very nice! Just curious, how much of a slope do you guys normally have to work with? (How long downwards)

#18 ·
Sweet line. Legal this time?

You should consider adding some slope to you back-cut. Also, from the pics it looks like the trail tread slopes in to the back-cut. It needs to slope out (down slope) and I would also add some natural drains in the trail design to prevent it from getting washed out.

#20 ·
Red Bull said:
is that supposed to be ridden with big bikes?
That's the idea, it hasn't been tested on one yet though. I rode it on the yeti, the runup is def gonna be a lot smoother and faster on a fully, but the stepup could be tough. It takes a solid pedal stroke between the two to clear the rock, but I cased it on my hardtail once and was fine so it can't be that bad on a fully.

#21 ·
ThoughtfulPirate said:
That's the idea, it hasn't been tested on one yet though. I rode it on the yeti, the runup is def gonna be a lot smoother and faster on a fully, but the stepup could be tough. It takes a solid pedal stroke between the two to clear the rock, but I cased it on my hardtail once and was fine so it can't be that bad on a fully.
werd. it looks like a fun line...

i'm bummed i missed sugar this year, i would have loved to head over to your neck of the woods, but i was still in school. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
Red Bull said:
werd. it looks like a fun line...

i'm bummed i missed sugar this year, i would have loved to head over to your neck of the woods, but i was still in school. :rolleyes:
No worries man, you'd have more fun if you came down when it wasn't a race weekend anyway. I'll be goin to school 20 mins from sugar this fall so there's always a place to crash if you get down this way when its warm. I'll have crazy terrain to build on next year so I'm hopin to have a ton of lines like this around.

#23 ·
ThoughtfulPirate said:
No worries man, you'd have more fun if you came down when it wasn't a race weekend anyway. I'll be goin to school 20 mins from sugar this fall so there's always a place to crash if you get down this way when its warm. I'll have crazy terrain to build on next year so I'm hopin to have a ton of lines like this around.
Thats dope dude. Now i've go to plattekill...should be another fun weekend, allthough getting up at 5:30 is never fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.