Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Recommendations to Shave Fuel 98?

927 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mtb_biker 
#1 ·
2004 19.5" Fuel 98 (Fox Pro Pedal) w/ 04 XT group incl dual control shifters and hydro discs. Fox F80RLT fork, Crossmax SL Wheels, Bontrager Super X lite tubeless tires, Bontrager Triple X Carbon seatpost, Bon FS 2000 Saddle, Thomson Stem, Easton Monkeylite carbon Riser bar, Shimano 520 pedals.

This setup came out to about 27 lbs. I was really hoping to be in the 25 range.

Any ideas on how I can get there or at least closer? Not interested in SID fork or V brakes.

Thanks much for any advice/insight.

#2 ·
I, too, am surprised that a bike with that spec would be that heavy. It sounds wonderful! Without breaking the bank, the only things that come to mind are saddle, crank/bb, and pedals. I don't know the weight of those tires, but that might be an area as well. You can get lighter stems and seatposts than Thompson, but it seems almost heretical to replace the Thompson stuff now that you already have it.

#3 ·
Unfortunately....

In order to drop the weight you will have to replace a lot of stuff.
Best way is just to do it a few pieces at a time.
I'm sure the XT disc are pretty heavy, there are a lot of lighter disc available. You could probaly loose close to 1/3 - 1/2 of a pound here. Tubless tires as well...they probably weight a pound more than standard tires. Run standard tires with some latex tubless. Guessing the Bonti saddle is a 300+ gram saddle, could loose 1/4 lb with a lighter saddle.
Just some options....

KMan

Nakedcarbon said:
2004 19.5" Fuel 98 (Fox Pro Pedal) w/ 04 XT group incl dual control shifters and hydro discs. Fox F80RLT fork, Crossmax SL Wheels, Bontrager Super X lite tubeless tires, Bontrager Triple X Carbon seatpost, Bon FS 2000 Saddle, Thomson Stem, Easton Monkeylite carbon Riser bar, Shimano 520 pedals.

Any ideas on how I can get there or at least closer? Not interested in SID fork or V brakes.

#5 ·
Nakedcarbon said:

There are alot lighter parts out there..
You can save weight on every single thing you mentioned. The trek fuel 100 i beleive is 25 lbs. So if you want to see what you'll have to do.. you don't have to look far. If you want to keep stuff like your F80rlt , etc. You're going to have to drop some $

Stuff to upgrade:
pedals
seat
Crankset
Cassette
stem- you could save 100g if you switched to a syntace
seatpost
wheelset
chain

tires (ditch those bontragers, they're 750g a piece) = 1500g + tubes?

If you have a tube in your tire.. you should goto a
tubeless setup (you already have tubeless rims, just put some stans in there and run regular tubes) (470g per tire, 70g stans solution)
= 1080g setup opposed to your bontrager setup which is between 1500-1700g

could go on but you get what im saying..

#4 ·
Saddle...

Nakedcarbon said:

Just replaced that same saddle on my Trek 8500 with an Aerion Prolite from Supergo. Takes off 200g or so - $30 at supergo.com.

The Shimano 520s are 414g - change them out for stainless Egg Beaters @ 268g = 146g savings. $109 from Cambria.

346g / .76 lbs. for $140.

The rest would seem to be in smaller amounts for WAY more $$.

Good luck & enjoy!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.