Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Car Racks for Downhill bikes

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  UWHusky 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a car rack for my new Trek Session 10. I have a 4 door car. I think i would prefer keeping the pride and joy on the roof but does anyone have any good sugestions or can someone tell me what they use?

#3 ·
What kind of car?

If it's a car that'll take a rear hitch rack, the Thule T-2 will handle FR/DH (or anything else) bikes as well as any. Roof racks with heavy bikes may not be the best idea for some cars. And one day...yes you will...one day you'll drive under something with your bike on top.:D

Attachments

#5 ·
TNC said:
If it's a car that'll take a rear hitch rack, the Thule T-2 will handle FR/DH (or anything else) bikes as well as any. Roof racks with heavy bikes may not be the best idea for some cars. And one day...yes you will...one day you'll drive under something with your bike on top.:D
yep Blam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

#13 ·
We have both the King Cobra racks and Hookup rack for two different cars. The hookup (Trailer Hitch Type) is soooooo much easier to use. It does give new meaning to backing up carefully as it really puts a lot of extra lenght into the car.

https://bikeguy.smugmug.com/photos/77986943-M.jpg

While I have had the Cobras for about three~four years, I've never had a problem with the star nut coming loose. They are great racks for roof and are great if you cannot mount a trailer hitch on your car (and you get an extra workout lifting the bikes on to the roof).

Regards
Rick

#16 ·
Now Lets Ride!

TNC said:
Dude!!!! I want one of those Santa Cruz "Now Lets Ride" stickers. That is the rack I am getting too. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
I have the King Cobra as well. Not one problem at all with it...I love the lock too, it's nice to know your bike is locked up if you run into 7-11 for something. IMHO people that complain about the red knob are idiots. I have over 5 large in my bike and I don't mind the red knob one bit.

#24 ·
Just reiterating what has been said; I own both the Thule T2 (for my pickup truck), as well as the King Cobra (for my not-so-stout Toyota Corolla).

Both great racks. Never had the loosening problem that was mentioned in a previous post (you should be grabbing the front tire while rotating it forward, while tightening the red knob). However, as has been stated--lifting a 40lb bike to the top of your car, while rolling it forward into the supports can be a bit tiring. Still, for a lot of compacts, it's the "only" solution (without having expensive hitch receivers installed).

I've never been concerned about the strength of the King Cobra, btw. I am more concerned about my Corolla falling apart before the bike falls off.

g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.