Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3 questions about 4" burner rockers

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DHRracer 
#1 ·
steve3 or someone can probably answer this...

with my burner that i'm getting soon (not soon enough!), if i get the 4" rockers, will i need a different shock?

also, and this is really important, will it change the geometry? the 70* head angle on the burner is about at my limit in terms of steepness, and i wouldn't want to steepen it any more than that.

finally, if the new rockers DO steepen the head angle, can i compensate by running more fork (i have a psylo u-turn), or with that mess up the handling?

thanks- help appreciated.

#2 ·
You can run the same shock. You will need a stiffer spring if you use a coil, or add some air pressure if it is an air shock. That's it.

The unsagged geometry will not change. The bike will sink deeper into it's travel to reach bottomout. The sag height will be a TINY bit different, since running the same percent of sag with more travel creates a greater absolute amount of sag. We are talking millimeters here. Don't worry.

Adjustable travel forks are nice in any situation. Two different forks with the same amount of travel will often have different axle to crown distances anyway, and that affects the resulting head angle. Taller 100mm forks will make the HA slacker than shorter 100mm forks. Get an adjustable travel fork or pay attention to the A to C distance when shopping for a non-adjustable travel one. The Burner's geometry was calculated using a Fox fork (any one) set at 100mm which has an A to C of 453mm (I think, someone check that...).

tscheezy

#3 ·
I think the Float 100 should be about 470mm AC height, according to Maverick's handy little fork comparison chart The 450mm would be for the 80mm version, I guess.

Since we're already on this topic, The Vanilla/Talas 125 would be about 495mm.

If you want a copy of the chart, go to www.maverickamerican.com under the forks in the products section and scroll down to about the middle. It's an Excel file. The numbers may not be perfect, but they're close enough for gov't work.

#5 ·
Sell stock rockers

Jordan said:
steve3 or someone can probably answer this...

with my burner that i'm getting soon (not soon enough!), if i get the 4" rockers, will i need a different shock?

also, and this is really important, will it change the geometry? the 70* head angle on the burner is about at my limit in terms of steepness, and i wouldn't want to steepen it any more than that.

finally, if the new rockers DO steepen the head angle, can i compensate by running more fork (i have a psylo u-turn), or with that mess up the handling?

thanks- help appreciated.
Any body want to sell there stock XCE/Burner rockers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.