Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pedals with titanium spindle - opinions please!

840 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
I am about to replace my Eggbeaters S with some new shimanostyled pedals (probably Xpedo MtnForce). However, I am not sure if I dare try pedals with titanium spindle. Are they strong and stiff enough ?

Can you feel the difference in stiffness between a CrMospindled and a Titanspindled pedal ?

I am 75 kg (~160 lbs) and do XC racing.

#2 · (Edited)
Danne said:
I am about to replace my Eggbeaters S with some new shimanostyled pedals (probably Xpedo MtnForce). However, I am not sure if I dare try pedals with titanium spindle. Are they strong and stiff enough ?

Can you feel the difference in stiffness between a CrMospindled and a Titanspindled pedal ?

I am 75 kg (~160 lbs) and do XC racing.
I've had several pedals with Ti spindles over the years (Onza, Ritchey, Wellgo, Crank Bros) and never had a problem with any of them. That also is one place where I can honestly say I've feld absolutely no difference in materials on my bike. They don't feel any stiffer or more flexible than the steel spindled models for me. I only weigh 145 though so YMMV... I think that you should be fine at your weight--even if your riding borders on the "freeridish."

**Edit-- One thing that I should add is that my EggBeater Ti spindles were not stock, nor were they produced by Crank Bros. They were prototypes produced by someone who doesn't post on the forum anymore named Tim. He seemed to have had some "issues" with customer service for stuff that he sold here and now stays away. The spindles were excellent though! :D

#3 ·
riding speedplay frog Ti and SS pedals, can't notice any difference. you'd rather feel the fork/wheels, tires and frame flex. however Ti axles are said to wear faster in muddy conditions, which makes the Tis my race-bike pedals

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.