Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

To go 24" or not to go 24"

765 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  AKRida 
#1 ·
This is but a simple delema.
I'm a huge Mavic fan, considering I've been riding NorthShore style with one of there XC models and I only had to true them once, and I was planning to put the D321's on my new Morphine. But I became very curious to see what it would be like to go 24" in the rear ever since my lbs set my bike up with a 24 double track so I could see what it was like. It felt kinda cool. But i'm amprehensive to give up the Mavics (who do not make a 24") for the sun double tracks just so I can try out the 24" set-up(which I've never done).
So what do you guys think? Should I give up the Mavic d321 and go with the double track for the 24" set-up, are the sun rims a good trade off? Or should i stick with the Mavics and go dual 26".
i have no experience with the 24 rear so I can't go with personal preference here, it's just curiousity.

#3 ·
I think that the deal of 24" is that they are supoust to be stronger but I have also D321 and man those rims are unbrakebles ...so I don't find the need to go from the D321 to 24" unless there is another reason that I don't know....

BTW... THere is another reason that I don't know..?

#4 ·
The only reason to go 24" is to slack out your headtube angle and lower BB height. I was surprised about how much a 24" slacked out the headtube angle on my bike. It took it from 68 to 66 degrees (with skinny rear tire mounted on it).

#5 ·
i got a 24 on the rear of my banshee scream and would like a 26 on the rear instead, the rim is off my old bike i put it on for the additional strength after i blew out 7 spokes and the shock on my old bike :) it accelerates faster, but seems to hold less speed and drops the BB on my bike more than i'd like, also adds more rake.

If your morphine has a Double Crown on it, dont use a 24 on the rear, if it has a Single use either is my opinion anyways, you might need the additional Strength in the 24 on the ol HT but yer knee's will probalbly explode before a properly built up good quality 26 inch rim anyways.

#6 ·
Was your bike designed around a 24" rear (or front) wheel?? If not than I'd say leave it alone. Having used a 24 on a bike that wasn't designed for it, I say leave things as they should be. Honestly the only bikes I could see using them on are Big Hits, urban bikes, jumpers and park bikes. If your going to use it on a trail for DH, I wouldn't recommend it. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
One of the most...

BlurryTrees said:
This is but a simple delema.
I'm a huge Mavic fan, considering I've been riding NorthShore style with one of there XC models and I only had to true them once, and I was planning to put the D321's on my new Morphine. But I became very curious to see what it would be like to go 24" in the rear ever since my lbs set my bike up with a 24 double track so I could see what it was like. It felt kinda cool. But i'm amprehensive to give up the Mavics (who do not make a 24") for the sun double tracks just so I can try out the 24" set-up(which I've never done).
So what do you guys think? Should I give up the Mavic d321 and go with the double track for the 24" set-up, are the sun rims a good trade off? Or should i stick with the Mavics and go dual 26".
i have no experience with the 24 rear so I can't go with personal preference here, it's just curiousity.
...asked questions on this forum other than BigHits w/24" vs 26" vs scuba yellow Bullits, if V10s can freeride, Konas vs any other bike, why Nate changed his name, why Pete is sooo confrontational, flats vs clipless, why Iron Horse's are just as good as everything else, etc, etc.

Run what feels good to you. Luckily you have a choice in wheel size (coming from a BigHit owner). :D

#8 ·
red5 said:
Was your bike designed around a 24" rear (or front) wheel?? If not than I'd say leave it alone. Having used a 24 on a bike that wasn't designed for it, I say leave things as they should be. Honestly the only bikes I could see using them on are Big Hits, urban bikes, jumpers and park bikes. If your going to use it on a trail for DH, I wouldn't recommend it. Hope this helps.
the Banshee is actually designed for either, it is recommended to adjust your wheel base for the 24 is all, just keep the 26 though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.