Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona bikes???

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tnGreg 
#1 · (Edited)
I was all set to order a Fisher Piranha from the LBS, but their lack of effort in service has caused me to re-think where I will be dropping my cash. Without going into great detail, I've been in the shop (a 30 mile drive one-way, so it's not actually local, but the closest dealer with even a decent selection of bikes), 3 separate times, and have maybe spent a total of 5 minutes talking with a knowledgeable bike salesman. As I visited this past Saturday, after asking for help, I was left to wander the store for over an hour without anyone offering assistance. I know it can get busy, but I just don't get a good feeling about spending $$$ there.

Anyway, I've decided to visit Asheville, NC (a little over an hour away) and judging from my phone conversations with 3 stores, I feel like I could get better service and better selection at the cost of a drive over the mountain. Herein lies my question:

Now I will be able to view so many more options. Not only does a store have a Fisher Piranha, but I will have an opportunity to look at many other bikes. From looking at websites, I also plan on looking at a Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Rainer, and a Kona Caldera, and I guess anything else that catches my eye.

I don't want to go any higher than $900, as I'm new to mtn biking, but not to bicycling. But, I'm the type of person that likes to get the best possible item I can afford, to avoid buyers remorse later. There are some pretty decent trails in my area, but I don't plan on getting too radical with riding (at least in the beginning). Mainly looking for exercise, recreation and just getting outdoors more.

But in looking at bikes, I keep gravitating back to the Kona bikes. Don't know if it's their presentation or what, but I really like the specs and looks of the Kona. Now I realize I might hate it once I get on, but would like some feedback. After searching, I've read that the fork is not the best - Marzocchi MZ-2. Any other thoughts on the Kona, or other options? From searching, I see that Ibex is highly recommended, but I don't feel like I'm ready to pick out a bike without some sales assistance at this point.

Thanks and I must say this is a great forum!!

Greg

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm 5'10" and 180-185 lbs (part of the reason I need to start biking again!) with a 32" inseam. And when I spoke to two shops that carried Kona (one in Asheville and one in Boone), the guys on the phone spoke very highly of the Kona's.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
All good options

Sounds like you have your act together and know how to go about this. All the bike manufacturers you mentioned should be good options. As for the fork on the Kona, you're right, it's not that great. The fork is probably the most expensive single component on a bike, and the place where many manufacturers skimp to keep their bikes at a specific price point. Unfortunately my personal observation is that Kona is real bad in this sense. Look at their line up and you will see that some of them are oufitted with something from marzocchi called a Grand Fondo. According to marzocchi's web site, this fork isn't even classified for singletrack usage. My point is not so much to knock Kona, but to to your homework in fork selection in general. In a worse case scenario, if you like a bike you buy from the LBS, buy it, and have them swap the fork out before the bike even leaves the shop floor. Research the forks carefully, and buy the one you think would be a good option and bite the bullet up front. The other option is to ride it with the stock fork and replace it when it wears out, breaks or you realize it's limitations. If you go this route, it will be more expensive in the end, as you are most likely to get a better deal from the LBS when you buy the bike.

As for buying online from a company like Ibex, this is also a great option. You say you are not new to cycling, but are new to mountain biking. As I said before, you seem to have your act together and are going about this logically. You probably stand a better chance at buying the right bike online (size, components, geometry all taken into consideration) than someone who has never bought a bike before. Call Ibex and talk to them. They'll do their best to sell you the right bike, the right size, etc., based on the info you tell them. You still run the risk of the bike not fitting or you not liking the bike, but that's a risk you need to decide on. FWIW, I have bought 2 bikes online without a test ride. One is an Ibex, the other a Leader. Both transactions were super smooth, and both bikes fit me just fine and I love them. For the money you're looking to spend, I'd say look at the Ibex Trophy Comp. Very nicely spec'd bike and will be less than $900/shipped.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Bob

#4 ·
Kona chart and more

you are right on the border; I'm 5'10" and 31 inseam and need the 18" as I have a longer torso. The cockpit (seat to bars) is the area to worry about, it's the key to fit 1st.

Here's the Kona chart, I'd encourage you to sit on one or 2 for feel.

You don't mention any specific model, so can't help you there, and Clyde covered off the rest nicely.

from Kona: "Just like snowflakes, you are all unique, so sizing your bike should be done just for you and not according to some rough chart that does not take into account your inseam, torso length, reach or personal preference etc.

For the best fit we recommend not only riding what you feel is comfortable and works for you, but what is advised by our fine network of Kona dealers around the world. We trust them to fit you to our bikes properly and field all of your questions regarding sizing and fit. If you'd like to talk to a genuine Kona employee and in-house expert you can do so by emailing TECH or JOE and they'll gladly help you out.

Dang, the chart won't post, let's try this: http://www.konaworld.com/tech/sizing_chart.htm

Jim

#5 ·
jabs said:
hey man i bought a bike from carolina fatz in asheville a month ago. I drove up from around ocoee tn and i dont think you would be disappointed whatsoever to deal with them.
Ask for jason or markus and you will be golden
jabs
Where is carolina fatz located? I was planning on checking out Liberty Bikes, Youngblood Bikes, and Ski-Country Sports.

What brands do they carry?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.