Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What Chain Device Is This???

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  singletrack 
#1 ·
What is the this Chain device on Dylan Tremblay's bike?(Drop In season 3) My thoughts: a piece of an MRP, a DMR device. My current tensioner is causing me some problems so I am interested in this.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Definitely not e13. It looks like it's a SS and he's just using it to add tension to the chain. It's probably a frame with vertical dropouts.
It almost looks as if there is a short cage rear derailleur and cable on there though. I bet it is a modified MRP or homemade jobby.

#7 ·
I think that's the roof of the house behind it. Look at the path of the chain. No way there's a derailleur in there.

It's probably the one posted above. It makes sense that he spun it around so it puts tension on top, because it's much more likely to get smacked into things if he runs it on the bottom.

#9 ·
I know for a fact that bike is singlespeed. I just can't find that tensioner for my siglespeed bike. I looked at DMR but none of them look to sit on top. I was trying to star away from tensioners in the derailler area but if I cant get one, I'll probably get a rennen

#10 ·
cummings said:
I know for a fact that bike is singlespeed. I just can't find that tensioner for my siglespeed bike. I looked at DMR but none of them look to sit on top. I was trying to star away from tensioners in the derailler area but if I cant get one, I'll probably get a rennen
people should learn to read.. i posted a pic, and said it was probably turned up to sit on top... its not that tough to figure out :madman:

#11 ·
Well whatever it is, he definitely isn't using it to tension his chain. If you had a roller guide pushing down on the slack part of the chain up top, it would get forced out of alignment every time you stomped on the pedals.

Think about it, when you're pedaling, the top of the chain is always tensioned, it's the underside that is flopping around like a little b1tch. If you were to push down on the chain with a roller, and then started to pedal hard, the chain will naturally want to straighten out and will force the roller up and out of the way, thus making your system tensionless again. This is why deraileurs hang on the bottom, why deraileur hanger tensioners hang on the bottom, and why only the lower roller on an MRP or e13 actually touches the chain.

He is most likely using the upper roller as a bit of a guide to keep the chain from derailing off the front ring.

#12 ·
fiddy_ryder said:
people should learn to read.. i posted a pic, and said it was probably turned up to sit on top... its not that tough to figure out :madman:
Sorry. I did read your post. I contacted the company that I thought made what you posted (DMR) and they said nothing they made would do it and they didn't know of one. I should have posted my received email from them too.

#17 ·
ScaryJerry said:
Well whatever it is, he definitely isn't using it to tension his chain. If you had a roller guide pushing down on the slack part of the chain up top, it would get forced out of alignment every time you stomped on the pedals.
It's amazing to me that so many people don't understand that. It's always funny to see DH bikes with the top roller so low that it's limiting travel via chain tension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.