Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lightweight steel rotors for XTR calipers?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Knut 
#1 ·
Right, I'm building a set of lightweight disc wheels for my hardtail based on Tune King/Kong hubs laced to Stan's ZTR 355 rims with DT Revolution 1,8/1,5/1,8 spokes and al nipples. I'm 65 kilo / 143 lbs so this should not pose any problems IMHO?

My brakes are Shimano XTR disc's and I'm wondering what rotors to use for these wheels. One option could be Formula B4SL as shown by anders on "The Machinist" homepage.

What other "lightweight", 6 hole, ø160mm, steel rotors are available that will work with my XTR calipers?

Anyone??

#3 ·
Knut said:
Right, I'm building a set of lightweight disc wheels for my hardtail based on Tune King/Kong hubs laced to Stan's ZTR 355 rims with DT Revolution 1,8/1,5/1,8 spokes and al nipples. I'm 65 kilo / 143 lbs so this should not pose any problems IMHO?

My brakes are Shimano XTR disc's and I'm wondering what rotors to use for these wheels. One option could be Formula B4SL as shown by anders on "The Machinist" homepage.

What other "lightweight", 6 hole, ø160mm, steel rotors are available that will work with my XTR calipers?

Anyone??
Formula B4SL, Magura wave, and Hayes round 160mm rotors all weigh within a gram or two of 110g. I've never heard of any lighter 160mm steel rotors, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

#10 ·
af73 said:
Hey,
Magura Marta SL rotors (wavy) way an actual 109g and look way cool. i use them with my xtr calipers and they work great. just my two bits.
Any issues with the XTR calipers at the moment. Is braking affected at all? Its just from my understanding the wavy rotors work good with mud, and I ride in muddy condtions a good deal throughout the year..

#11 ·
Trevor! said:
Any issues with the XTR calipers at the moment. Is braking affected at all? Its just from my understanding the wavy rotors work good with mud, and I ride in muddy condtions a good deal throughout the year..
Hi Trevor,
I ride in upstate New York, very wet and muddy out here too. I have had NO problems with these rotors at all. they work great with the xtr calipers, are lighter, and shed mud a lot better IMHO. Get them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.