Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Build!...Help w/specs please!

814 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  split 
#1 ·
Looking for some XC setup input here guys (gals too?).

What's the consense on SRAM X.9 components compared to, you know....that other line?

How 'bout them FSA Carbon crank units? Any pro's over XTR?

Are any of you switching to disc? The frame I'm looking @ (Scott Team Issue) seems to be only setup for disc on the rear! Tipping the scales @ a hefty 130ish, the V's work just fine for me. I guess I could go Hope Mini's if need be.

Have everything else prety much figured out:

Frog Ti's
Ritchey Stem
Carbon Bars
WTB Rocket Stealth
Mavic SL's w/Cont. Lites
SID Team

Any thoughts/comments will be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Haven't tried the X.9's but I've got the X.O and will never look back to, you know...that other line. The XO derailleur is amazing and paired with their shifters makes for clean, crisp, fast shifting. Plus, they are lighter than the other option. For me, grip shift is very natural, but some would criticize it for not being able to shift and brake at the same time. You can also adjust the front derailleur while you ride to eliminate chain rub.

As for discs, I think that depends on where you live and what type of riding you do. I think if I was descending all the time, I would get discs because the modulation they provide helps with the sore forearms I would get. But other than that, it is very hard to beat a good ceramic V-brake setup - I run Avid Ultimates with Bonty Racelite ceramic rims and I can stop on a dime, rain or shine. If you have to go with discs, look at the Formulas, I think they are the lightest.

FSAs are good as well as the new XTRs. One drawback for the XTR is the proprietary rings and cost of replacing them...ouch. I've also heard that the BB bearings wear out quickly, but you can replace these with new ones easily. The drawback with FSA is that you have to find an ISIS BB and anything ISIS is bad. And I believe weight-wise, you need to tune the FSA with new rings or bolts to get the weight down to that of the XTR crankset and BB - I might be wrong on that one.

As for the rest of your components, I would suggest...
Syntace F99 stem instead of the Ritchey
Go with the Extralite Ultrabar carbon bar
Have you tried an SLR? They are way lighter than a WTB
Build a wheelset up - it's a lot cheaper, a lot lighter, and easier to service. I've had the Crossmax SL's and for me they were way overbuilt and pricey. Ask for Mike at Oddsandendos.com.

Those are just my thoughts...

#3 ·
JMac47 said:
Looking for some XC setup input here guys (gals too?).

What's the consense on SRAM X.9 components compared to, you know....that other line?

How 'bout them FSA Carbon crank units? Any pro's over XTR?

Are any of you switching to disc? The frame I'm looking @ (Scott Team Issue) seems to be only setup for disc on the rear! Tipping the scales @ a hefty 130ish, the V's work just fine for me. I guess I could go Hope Mini's if need be.

Have everything else prety much figured out:

Frog Ti's
Ritchey Stem
Carbon Bars
WTB Rocket Stealth
Mavic SL's w/Cont. Lites
SID Team

Any thoughts/comments will be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
I wouldn't use Frog's.. If you ride in mud you'll soon realize their faults..

I'd recommend 959's or the 540's i believe is what they're called. 350g . Only 5g heavier than the 959's. Or you can always go the crank brothers route..

I've had slr's on full suspension bikes and found them to be perfect for that.. Not sure if a slr is my saddle of choice on a hardtail but tehre are alot lighter saddles than that WTB.

Cmax sl's. Um i'm 165 and can flex these wheels nicely without much effort while sprinting.. Just sold mine and went back to my king's..

The low spoke count looks cool, i find it weak though. Also if anything goes wrong with it (spoke breaks, spoke pulls through rim, etc) expect to pay up the wazoo... I'd recommend a custom wheelset as well. perhaps if you're 135lbs you might not have an issue but just letting you know..

Syntace F99 stem is good...

#4 ·
Veerrry interesting! (Shullltz?)

Thanks, this is alot of help. I know it's sometimes "to each his own" with these kinda things.

Re: X.0's, I've heard you either like 'm or don't! Seems the only con is the shift while braking thang. I'll look into them but I'm still old fashion I guess.

Re: V's vs. disc would only be IF the only Scandium (am I being too chi-chi?) frame does not have rear v lugs I guess. I would definitely like to stick w/v's. Don't kow how often I'll trash this rig in the wet elements.

Re: The SLR?? I don't know if I have enough CUSH on MY scrawny seat to enjoy THAT seat!! Heh...

Re: FSA, just ran across these on a buddies new build (20lb. HT) that for him was for budgetary reasons. Contemplated putting some on my skinny, didn't realize they had a mtb line aswell. doh!

Re: SL's, funny you should mention switching back, I just sold a 4 y/o set that came on my YBB. Have 517's presently w/CK rr & XTR frt. They are pricey aren't they (2 conv. sets for the same $$). Don't see alot of these in my Sport cat.

Re: Ritchey stem, ahhh......honestly saw these while sitting (guess where?) surfin' weight factors in my current Performance flyer.

In closing, this build might be a blend of chi-chi & practical components. After all....is it reeeely about the bike??

Thanks all

#5 ·
Scott Frameset has both...

the Scott Team Issue FRAMESET has both, v-studs and disc- adapter.
only the complete bikes come with the disc-only frames.

if you need a 04 Scott Team Issue HT in size M contact me off the forum.i have one brandnew for cheap.

#6 ·
The quality of a SRAM shift is unbeatable in my opinion. The X9 Shifters and rear derailleur would be fine, but if you could I would get the XO shifters and either the X9 or X0 rear derailleur. By the way I can shift and break with my XO shifters, it just takes a new technique I guess.

I am using the FSA Carbon Pros. I had XTR before them, and Deore before that. I would buy another set of FSAs any day. I love them. Light, Stiff, shifting that is no different to Shimano. They look cool, and durability is quite surprising (Since they are carbon).

I don't like to comment on Disks v Vees as it is very much personal preference and also influenced by ones riding conditions. Take a look at the Formula B4 + disks or the Marta SLs. These are light and like most disk brakes the power and modulation just does not compare to Vs.

Pedals seem fine. Carbon bars and post too. I think there will be lighter and much stiffer stems over the Ritchey.

Wheelset. I am not into factory builds when you can get the likes of King Hubs and nice DT or Mavic rims with Ti Spokes. Much better hubs and less price.

Sid Teams! Good luck - Not the stiffest fork, nor the most reliable for getting *actual* travel.

#7 ·
you should waitt a little more untill race face put the new deus crankset on the market. FSA stuff is pretty but not that durable. trevor, just remember your problem with your carbon pro. and the easton ec70 post sucks too. the rest if great.

#8 ·
carlos said:
you should waitt a little more untill race face put the new deus crankset on the market. FSA stuff is pretty but not that durable. trevor, just remember your problem with your carbon pro. and the easton ec70 post sucks too. the rest if great.
I agree with the EC70. Mine has been relegated to my backup parts pile. That post never stayed in the right spot and there was way too much setback for me. I am using a nice heavy Thompson post and that thing is a pleasure to work with.

Carlos, while I acknowledge that I indeed had a fault with my FSA carbon pros,which has now been resolved, it would seem quit invalid to warn people away because of a mere failure. If the failure or problem was very serious or occurred regularly then my response may be different. To the contrary too, I feel there is no durability issues with the cranks. Just like my FSA carbon pros, other cranks can suffer from either manufacturing or user errors making parts redundant or in need of replacement. In my case I wouldn't hesitate to purchase FSA carbon cranks or XTR 3 piece units despite the bearing failures those [xtr] cranks have suffered.

Cheers
Trevor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.