Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Warning: post containing severe weight weenie content

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  DeeEight 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I made this table for DavidG but thought someone else would maybe want to use it. I measured all the individual bits my Vuelta mags and made this file with pre and after tuning weights. If you want the excel file for your own tuning just email me.

Also included some pics of my tuned Vueltas @ 109 g per brake. I'm told koolstop pad inserts should be ~4g each new, which would put my set @ 107.2 g per brake once I wear out current pad inserts. Thats with new, not used inserts...sweeet.

Anyway carry on,
Bojan

See less See more
#2 ·
I see where you are lighter...

i see you have the thin spacers on your padcarriers.on my bike that would make for inward looking brakearms.i use the thickest ones i could find (some Avids i think) and added even a 1mm washer to compensate for the inwards looking brakearms.now mine are parallel and deliver the full power.i still need some Aluminium returnspring-adjuster-bolts.should save another 2g or so.

it seems that on your bike they also look inwards.i might be wrong though.

anyway - nice brakes, right ? ;)

my front brake:

#4 ·
Kick ass brakes...

nino said:
i see you have the thin spacers on your padcarriers.on my bike that would make for inward looking brakearms.i use the thickest ones i could find (some Avids i think) and added even a 1mm washer to compensate for the inwards looking brakearms.now mine are parallel and deliver the full power.i still need some Aluminium returnspring-adjuster-bolts.should save another 2g or so.

it seems that on your bike they also look inwards.i might be wrong though.

anyway - nice brakes, right ? ;)
Yeah I lost about 2 g by shortening the washers as much as I could. I basically just took the 4 spherical pieces that are essential to adjust pad toe in etc and ditched all others. From my memory on the pad side there was only these washers so this mod didn't result in any more 'inwarding' as all the lost washers were from the nut side. Those pics are just my beater bike but I mounted them to see just how inward they would be and it seems ok but I won't be able to use a boot. Ahh well another 0.5 g down :p

Weird thing is that my stock SRP Ti bolts would not fit my pad holders. Did anyone find this with their SRP T bolts? I just dremelled them into the right shape and ended up lodsing a whole lot weight there too (stock SRP Ti T bolts were 3.9 g each).

#5 · (Edited)
nino said:
Yep, I had to add a couple of Aluminum washers on the padcarriers to separate the arms a little farther in order to make it look right. Good job on the tuning.

Hey Boj: Can you shoot me an e-mail with the Excel file. Thanks
dafiremedic(at)juno(dot)com

#6 ·
I agree nino. With that narrow spacer you don´t reach all the power. The brake arms must be more or less paralel. I have to use 2 big spacer on the fork and one thin and one big spacer on the rear brake.

I also use XT pad holders (I think they are exactly the same as the XTR but polished instead of grey) and they are dremelled so even lighter...

I still don´t have a digital scale so can´t tell you weights. Sorry.

#7 · (Edited)
I don'y know if it affects power all that much, although you want to get enough cable pull, I just thought it looked better a little wider.

I got the Vuelta Aluminum pad holders, they were as light (stock) as my avids were drilled.

BTW: Don't make the mistake of letting brake cleaner get on your Vuelta Logo, it will take it right off. :mad:

#10 ·
would this be a bad time to point out that Aztec Mag pads are 38g/pair out of the package including the rim rakes. Magnesium backbones for the pads and Al hardware. You can reuse the hardware when the pads wear out, and the pads ignite well in a bonefire afterwards. First/Fourth of july fun.

#12 ·
bikepro sez they're 49g...

DeeEight said:
would this be a bad time to point out that Aztec Mag pads are 38g/pair out of the package including the rim rakes. Magnesium backbones for the pads and Al hardware. You can reuse the hardware when the pads wear out, and the pads ignite well in a bonefire afterwards. First/Fourth of july fun.
http://www.bikepro.com/products/brakes/brakepads/aztec_pads.html

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.