Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you remember when......?

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  carl0s 
#1 ·
I was looking through the archives and I read some articles about Mr Palmer and it got me thinking about what downhill was like back in the day (that is a relative phrase I guess). This is the stuff I remember when I was a kid going to the races and looking at the magazines. Do you remember when.....

1. Some pros were using XTR V-brakes with the carbon booster plate on their rigs.
  2. GT released the LTS DH with the curve in the seat tube. What ever happened to the Lobo?
  3. When GT actually made a good bike.
  4. Remember Tatoo Lou DeAngelis?
  5. Remember when the Cannondale Super V DH came out? Man that was sick looking.
  6. Remember that issue of Mountain Bike Action that showed Leigh Donovan's race winning bike. An actual full suspension Mongoose with two rings in the front and a chain tension system that consisted of a big spring attached to the rear der. I had one but now I can't remember the name of it.
  7. Remember when Tomac ripped it on the new Giant with the Rock Shox designed rear end.
  8. Remember the Palmer Replica bike. I loved the paint job on that thing.
  9. Remember the neon yelloy Magura brakes, both rim and disk?
  10. Remember when RST brought out the yellow fork with 4.5" of travel. Man that seemed like it was a ton.

See less See more
#6 ·
No, you got it wrong...

First it was jumping in full lycra.

Then came fire and dirt at approximately the same time.

Then all the stuff in the O.P.

Good list! All that stuff was the shiz. I will add this story: The first time I ever went to Moab (probably 1990/91), I was out at the start of Slickrock, just past the little cow gate from the parking lot. There was a guy coming down from the practice loop hitting a crazy fast stepdown line that he was sending about 30 ft down the hill. I watched him do it a few times, It was absolutely the sickest thing I had ever seen. His bike was a prototype full suspension Iron Horse, with purple anodized Marzocchi fork and swingarm. He later became one of the legends of DH, even had massive heart surgery a few years later but still rocked. Shimano made a series of ads that depicted him as an action figure. Anyone know who I am talking about? First correct answer wins the Old Dork tropy.

JMH

Attachments

#7 ·
JMH said:

Good list! All that stuff was the shiz. I will add this story: The first time I ever went to Moab (probably 1990/91), I was out at the start of Slickrock, just past the little cow gate from the parking lot. There was a guy coming down from the practice loop hitting a crazy fast stepdown line that he was sending about 30 ft down the hill. I watched him do it a few times, It was absolutely the sickest thing I had ever seen. His bike was a prototype full suspension Iron Horse, with purple anodized Marzocchi fork and swingarm. He later became one of the legends of DH, even had massive heart surgery a few years later but still rocked. Shimano made a series of ads that depicted him as an action figure. Anyone know who I am talking about? First correct answer wins the Old Dork tropy.

JMH
WCH...yep that is it

#8 ·
JMH said:

JMH
Dave Cullinan (sp?)

#9 ·
in I think this years june MBA mag thre is a lot of old pics, one of this guy with a red looks like endro or somthing and he was wearing the cloth covered helmet. he was throwen down a huge tail whip.
My niegbor (a swed) has a bunch of old Hans "no way" Rey. that was one way i realy got into trials and moutian biking in general. Hans is awsome i got to talk a little with him at sea otter. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
JMH said:

JMH
Wild guess... H Ball? Johnny T?

I don't know. Is it the dude on the Proflex? I rode with a guy who had a Proflex Beast... back in 99.

#15 ·
Dave Cullinan was THE man of DH at one stage (he was teh guy hitting the step down), and I recall he told the doctors (post heart surgery) that he needed a medical note to say he was OK to go cycling. The Doctors apparently obliged and this was his OK note to provide to the UCI to compete in that years DH worlds, where from memory didn't he place like, 4th??!! Nutter!

Other superb throwbacks -
1. I remember getting my first GT RTS-1 and thinking it was just the nuts
2. Remember Johnny T competing in the worlds DH on that rigid Yeti ARC with the Tioga disc wheel, 1.5" manitou forks (elastomer no less) and DROP BARS!!! He killed it even still - he was, and is, the man..
3. Remember Phillipe Perakis turning up at world cup downhill races covered if Dainese (the motor stuff at the time) and almost being laughed out of town for looking like an armadillo! Read that and weep....
4. Remember "insane" wayne crossdale riding (and the others) the mamouth kamikazee with 54t front chainrings and no rear suspension in lycra!

Loads of good stuff. All pre-Palmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.