Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hopey Steering Damper?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  RickyD 
#1 ·
I am a recreational/amateur downhiller who simply wants less arm fatigue to be able to ride for even longer periods of time. I am strongly considering the hopey product as soon as possible. In the mean time I have a few questions.

-Is there a model which fits any downhill frame/fork? (I have a 2005 Norco VPS A-Line & And a Manitou Sherman Slider Plus 170mm double crown fork.)

-Will this device make it more difficult to tighten the slack in the headset out on the trail with a simple allen key?

-Will the device help dampen an unwanted correction which goes in the re-centering direction?

-Can it actually make repeated steering away from center more fatigueing for a rider?

-Does it automatically raise your stem a little?

Thanks!

#2 ·
vpsaline said:
-Is there a model which fits any downhill frame/fork? (I have a 2005 Norco VPS A-Line & And a Manitou Sherman Slider Plus 170mm double crown fork.)

-Will this device make it more difficult to tighten the slack in the headset out on the trail with a simple allen key?

-Will the device help dampen an unwanted correction which goes in the re-centering direction?

-Can it actually make repeated steering away from center more fatigueing for a rider?

-Does it automatically raise your stem a little?

Thanks!
that frame/fork isnt a problem, just have a stem that allows you to run a 10mm spacer on top of the stem. And a stem that is atleast 50mm of reach or so. go a google search for images - there are plenty of installation photos.

Yes, tightening up the stem, crowns, headset after a digger out on the trail is a major Pain in the Arse. That's my biggest draw back. I cant stand to have a stem or fork crowns not perfectly centered. The hopey made it very difficult to tweek the bike after a spill out on the trail.

The damper does NOT dampen coming back to center. It dampens only going away from center.

you learn to ride with the Hopey. your style will adapt, even in the hardest hardest setting. It's wierd but one day, you it just disappears and you dont feel it. At first, it is kinda akward. but that means it is working and you are allowing it to take the hits. i asked Hopey if there was any way to make it any firmer, they said no.

It raises you stack height about 1/16th of an inch.

#3 ·
I have one on my DHR.

I bought the bike used from a guy on RM, but honestly...

I dont think it does much. With bigger tires and more suspension/plusher it seems a little outdated. Maybe I'm not using it right, but it stiffens up some when I use it. Not much though, I don't see the use too much in MTB. I will probably eventually take it off when I get around to it, just because its added weight :p and I don't see the need.

If you want to buy one, I could probably get mine off somehow and sell it to you cheap.:cool:

#4 ·
M1_joel said:
Yes, tightening up the stem, crowns, headset after a digger out on the trail is a major Pain in the Arse. That's my biggest draw back. I cant stand to have a stem or fork crowns not perfectly centered. The hopey made it very difficult to tweek the bike after a spill out on the trail.
How do you go about it then?

#5 ·
The steering damper might help with fatigue a bit but you should really be addressing the fatigue problem with being in better shape. More aerobic workouts and more wrist and grip workouts. I have a hopey damper and I need to get it fixed the bottom mount has a problem. Overall I like the feeling I get riding with it.

#9 ·
matt said:
I have one on my DHR.

I bought the bike used from a guy on RM, but honestly...

I dont think it does much. With bigger tires and more suspension/plusher it seems a little outdated. Maybe I'm not using it right, but it stiffens up some when I use it. Not much though, I don't see the use too much in MTB. I will probably eventually take it off when I get around to it, just because its added weight :p and I don't see the need.

If you want to buy one, I could probably get mine off somehow and sell it to you cheap.:cool:
Matt, I'd be interested in your Hopey if you want to sell it. Let me know how much you want for it. Also, I don't really need the bracket under the headset cup. So you would not have to remove your headset. It's about a 1 minute job to remove the damper itself. I can tell you how, if needed. Just let me know. You can email me directly at RiDurbin@hotmail.com or PM me.

Thanks, Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.