Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

In search of levers

609 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
....so I need to bleed my disc brakes. I have a set of Hayes Comps (Mag caliper, Comp levers) that are in poor shape. Thing is, even when they are in perfect working order, they still suck. The Comp levers are made of plastic, for some stupid reason (leave it to Hayes) and are super flexy when you squeeze on em. So I have a choice:

1) Get some new levers (Hayes Mag) and re-bleed the system when I switch them out, which I will have to do anyway. Will any Hayes lever work on the system, or just the Mags? And where on Earth does one buy just the lever assembly? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

2) Scratch the whole hydro setup and swap out for a nice set of Avid mechanicals with some new levers. If I do this, I will have to invest in a complete system (levers, cables, brakes) which could prove to be expensive. I have no issue in "downgrading" to mechanicals, as I honestly believe that they are just as good (if not better) than any reasonably affordable hydro setup.

So what do you guys think? I'm going to be moving to Seattle for the summer, lots of amazing riding, and I would prefer to do so with brakes. What will be cheapest, and easiest...I'm not going to worry about the performance aspect, because in my mind, mid-range Hayes hydros and high-end Avid mechs are about even.

See less See more
#3 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
what do you mean by levers?? the whole assembly or just the lever you squeeze

if it is the lever replace that.....if not replace the whole top end of the brakes with mags and then bleed
Yeah, I mean the whole lever assembly (unless it is possible to yank the master cyclinder out and put it into a new body). Basically the body of the lever is plastic and flexy as hell.

G
#4 ·
Andrewpalooza said:
Yeah, I mean the whole lever assembly (unless it is possible to yank the master cyclinder out and put it into a new body). Basically the body of the lever is plastic and flexy as hell.
Plastic lever body on a hydro... wtffff.... I have a new spare leverbody+lever blade of a Mag(black)... but I dont want to let it go... I bought my brakes off a guy and he got the spare body at the LBS he works at... ask around...

#7 ·
perfect...exactly what I was looking for. Now the only question is if any lever will work with my calipers. Are Hayes compatible across the lineup, or are Mag calipers only good with Mag levers, HFX-9 with HFX-9, etc.? It's strange that not many stores had the levers for sale, I looked around, but I never did check Universal...

Plastic levers on a hydro...wtf indeed. This has been an upgrade in the making since I bought the bike, and discovered the weaksauce plastic bits to begin with.

#8 ·
Andrewpalooza said:
perfect...exactly what I was looking for. Now the only question is if any lever will work with my calipers. Are Hayes compatible across the lineup, or are Mag calipers only good with Mag levers, HFX-9 with HFX-9, etc.? It's strange that not many stores had the levers for sale, I looked around, but I never did check Universal...

Plastic levers on a hydro...wtf indeed. This has been an upgrade in the making since I bought the bike, and discovered the weaksauce plastic bits to begin with.
calipers will work with all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.