Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

parents+concussion=problem, please help

3K views 78 replies 43 participants last post by  jdude 
#1 ·
hey, now that i got knocked out at the skatepark on saturday, the docs are saying 6 months before i should be riding again, but thats whack because it was nothing special just regular concussion w/ loss of conciousness, no internal bleeding or anything. the big problem is i had a kickass summer planned and now it looks like no riding. what should i do about this? should i just wait for school to end and then screw what everyone says and ride anyways? should i take up trials and flatland till 6 months from now? anyone else had a similar situation? please only helpful comments, ive got enough **** to deal w/ as is. thanks

#2 ·
heggler9 said:
hey, now that i got knocked out at the skatepark on saturday, the docs are saying 6 months before i should be riding again, but thats whack because it was nothing special just regular concussion w/ loss of conciousness, no internal bleeding or anything. the big problem is i had a kickass summer planned and now it looks like no riding. what should i do about this? should i just wait for school to end and then screw what everyone says and ride anyways? should i take up trials and flatland till 6 months from now? anyone else had a similar situation? please only helpful comments, ive got enough **** to deal w/ as is. thanks
Sounds like a bunch of bull$hit to me. I would wait a couple of days, and then go back to riding normaly.

#6 ·
From the Mayo Clinic website:

"It's important to prevent a condition known as second impact syndrome. This occurs when a person has recurrent head trauma while still recovering from a concussion. A seemingly minor trauma or bumping of the head in these people can lead to devastating swelling of the brain, which could prove fatal. You're at greatest risk of second impact syndrome if you're younger than age 20."

To me, 6 months seems like a long time to wait. But then again, I'm not a doctor. I'd rather spend 6 months on the couch then be measured up for a coffin.

Kn.

#7 ·
I would wait it out. I broke my leg playing football and didn't wait long enough to let it heal all of the way and re-broke it playing more football. I ended up having to sit out the season with a medical red shirt. We won a championship that year and I missed out on all of the fun because I didnt wait a couple more weeks. Just sit it out, it's not worth it.

#8 ·
K'Endo said:
From the Mayo Clinic website:

"It's important to prevent a condition known as second impact syndrome. This occurs when a person has recurrent head trauma while still recovering from a concussion. A seemingly minor trauma or bumping of the head in these people can lead to devastating swelling of the brain, which could prove fatal. You're at greatest risk of second impact syndrome if you're younger than age 20."

To me, 6 months seems like a long time to wait. But then again, I'm not a doctor. I'd rather spend 6 months on the couch then be measured up for a coffin.

Kn.
What a load of crap. I've had second, third, and fourth impact syndrome, and i'm smarter than Einstein.

#13 ·
6 months is BS. I've had 3 severe concussions, all with at least a minute unconscious, amnesia/memmory loss/long term headaches, and every time the doctors have told me that another head injury within 8 WEEKS would be BAD, BAD news. That makes sense to me, so I'll take a week or two off from riding and excessive drinking. The next 4-6 weeks will be normal riding, without any big crashing involved. If you can't ride without crashing, well, you shouldn't be pushing yourself so hard. I've had another 4-5 smaller concussions, with the whole concussion sound, headache, dizzyness, and for those I'll take a week or two mellow.

Every concussion you get does make you dumber, and makes you more prone to receive another one, but that's no reason to stop riding bikes. I'd rather be stupid and healthy than fat, unhappy, regretful, and still not very smart.

#15 ·
zachdank said:
i'm smarter than Einstein.
As proven by encouraging a kid to go out against the better judgement of his doc...

Three cheers for being a conscientious person!:D

Pay attention to your doc. Injuries suck, but being a vegetable has got to suck more. Talk with the doc and see if you can get the time to riding cut down a bit. Offer to go in for a checkup in two or three months. Be proactive, be smart.

#18 ·
i say get a 2nd and even third opinion. i don't know anything about concussions but 6 months is horrible, i would only wait 1 at the most. that may be ignorant but i would want to see an actual problem if i were going to wait a half a year. the second syndrome thing could suck, but i would not wait 6 months.

#20 ·
bikenweed said:
6 months is BS. I've had 3 severe concussions, all with at least a minute unconscious, amnesia/memmory loss/long term headaches, and every time the doctors have told me that another head injury within 8 WEEKS would be BAD, BAD news. That makes sense to me, so I'll take a week or two off from riding and excessive drinking. The next 4-6 weeks will be normal riding, without any big crashing involved. If you can't ride without crashing, well, you shouldn't be pushing yourself so hard. I've had another 4-5 smaller concussions, with the whole concussion sound, headache, dizzyness, and for those I'll take a week or two mellow.

Every concussion you get does make you dumber, and makes you more prone to receive another one, but that's no reason to stop riding bikes. I'd rather be stupid and healthy than fat, unhappy, regretful, and still not very smart.
Now this kid knows what he is talkin bout, and he's got his priorities straight.:thumbsup:

#21 ·
yeah man, ive had a few before so i kinda know how it goes, but this was the worst, i couldnt speak english for a while after i woke up, like i wouldnt be happy about it, but im down w/ waiting 6 weeks, but EVERYONE is saying 6 months which *****es, because this came 1 month after healing from a broken collarbone. its nuts to because i would have to just about run away for the summer to do anything but trials, so i just really dont know what to do

#24 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
hell, i was really knocked out for hours after a massive blow to the head that shattered my helmet into fragments. i even had to be airlifted to the hospital, the doc (who was a neurosurgoen) told me to take it easy for a couple of weeks......
not sure if what kendo's post said about the over 20 thing matters, but you're over 20 so it might.:skep: :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.