Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

building up a vp-free w/dhx air and 66sl suggest parts for relatively light build???

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  man w/ one hand 
#1 ·
I am building a new shop demo vp-free (medium) with a fox dhx air can, and a marzocchi 66sl front fork...........needs to be around the 40lbs. mark if possible with Kenda 2.7's frt & rr. I am using DT rims, DT rear t/a hub, 36h rims and hubs f&r, with a-lab 20mm frt t/a, plan on using aivd juicy 5's w/8" rotors, hone crankset dbl w/bash, e-13 drs, and fsa pig headset, thomson sp, wtb dh saddle, sram x.9 shifters, med. cage rr der., deore frt der., sram 971 chain, fmf pedals, panaracer supertubes, truvativ hussefelt bars, hussefelt stem 60mm, odi lock-on grips.....do you think it's possible to get this bike around 40lbs?:confused:

bike will be abused at this festival in two weeks

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=184411

we had to cancel this weekend because of rain that has soaked our trails, jumps, and stunts........in North Carolina.:rolleyes:

#4 ·
I the T, we sell Transition Bikes as well, they are indeed an excellent choice! The Dirt Bag is a great frame...as is the Preston. I needed something just a little lighter with just a little more travel.:thumbsup: E-I-O, your bike is pretty close different rear shock and crankset, and wheels...I'll post pics when the build is done! Thanks!

#6 ·
swaneedawg said:
I am building a new shop demo vp-free (medium) with a fox dhx air can, and a marzocchi 66sl front fork...........needs to be around the 40lbs. mark if possible with Kenda 2.7's frt & rr. I am using DT rims, DT rear t/a hub, 36h rims and hubs f&r, with a-lab 20mm frt t/a, plan on using aivd juicy 5's w/8" rotors, hone crankset dbl w/bash, e-13 drs, and fsa pig headset, thomson sp, wtb dh saddle, sram x.9 shifters, med. cage rr der., deore frt der., sram 971 chain, fmf pedals, panaracer supertubes, truvativ hussefelt bars, hussefelt stem 60mm, odi lock-on grips.....do you think it's possible to get this bike around 40lbs?:confused:

bike will be abused at this festival in two weeks

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=184411

we had to cancel this weekend because of rain that has soaked our trails, jumps, and stunts........in North Carolina.:rolleyes:
get the air 66 the other one s pretty heavy

#12 ·
I the T, I really wanted an Intense, but I couldn't get one from them after Willy broke his!:D :D

I'm too old to pedal a Transition, but we will have one built up soon for the folks to demo!:thumbsup:

Just trying to get a bike that an old man like me can pedal and recline one!!!LMAO

I hear ya! MW1A, I might not come back with that bike if they let me take it for a test ride!

#13 ·
Ditch the heavy DRS set up and go with a 38t single ring guide from Gamut (www.gamutusa.com). Not only is the guide lighter, but you have a simpler set up that's not any harder to ride up a hill. I'm sure you're strong enough to pedal a 38-34 ratio. You could also go with a pair of Shimano XT or Truvativ Stylo XC cranks. A Pig headset is probably overkill as well, you'd be fine with a lighter weight set up. The WTB DH seat is a little porky, their cross country offerings are just as comfy and weigh much less.

#14 ·
What's that frame weigh? 9 lbs or so? So 15 lbs of frame and fork....I think you can throw just about anything on there and make a 40 lb bike. How about shooting for 35 lb, with a set of dh worthy wheels and tires? How about this:

King Headset
thomson x4 stem
FSA carbon DH bars

Thomson Seatpost
WTB Pure V SLT seat

Hone crank
34t single front
Gamut G25 guide
Wellgo MG-1 pedals

DT 440 hubs (saint compatable??)
DT FR 6.1d rims
36h, 3x, DT revolution spokes, spline drive nips
2.5" DH tires your choice
Tubeless kit

11-34 XTR cassette
XTR rear derailleur, short cage
SRAM PC-99 chain
XTR 9 speed shifter

Shimano M756 levers
Saint front caliper, adapter, 203mm rotor (saint rotor?)
XTR rear IS caliper, no adapter, 160mm (saint rotor?)

I think that would get very close to 35lb, but still be very DH worthy...my bike is simillar in spec to that and is weighing ~37lb with a 66sl and heavier frame.

#15 ·
swaneedawg said:
Just trying to get a bike that an old man like me can pedal and recline one!!!LMAO

I hear ya! MW1A, I might not come back with that bike if they let me take it for a test ride!
I got news for you:

No matter how light you build a VPF, its still a pig to go uphill with.
Yes its manageable, and for a bike with 8.75" of travel, its probably the best in its class as far as pedaling goes. But going up is sloooow going and the bike tends to wallow quite a bit.

I was able to deal with it in the South because the terrain was rolling and more forgiving.
Out here in the PNW, the norm is prolonged and very steep 3 mile + climbs to the top and it is rough going on the VPF.

It will make a man out of you............a tired man. Unless you're a sadist like Mark Weir.

#16 ·
No word from Hospice trainin' yet. I hope they don't wait till the last sec. to let me know if I get to go for the training. Might end up at PW's yet. "D" is willing to cook "if I go". D probably won't go if I have to go to Hospice trainin'.

L8ter Holmes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.