Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone else ever have this happen to their x.9? -pics-

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  eviltankass 
#1 ·
Yeah...the pics show all. i dunno wtf happened there. Is it worth spendin the extra cash for the x.0, is it stronger then the x.9? this aluminum alloy looks pretty cheap, i dunno. i was just riding along n all of a sudden i hear crack crack snap! and its tangled up in my wheel. let me know :mad2:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
shiggy said:
Your pics are too blurry to "show all."

You need to use your macro setting or take a longer shot at max resolution and crop.
dude how hard is it to not see what happened? the aluminum snapped right in half. yeah im sorry its blurry but i dont have a good camera. i have a 2.1 megapixel camera. i dont know how u cant see that it broke right in 2

#4 ·
acdcfan1283 said:
dude how hard is it to not see what happened? the aluminum snapped right in half. yeah im sorry its blurry but i dont have a good camera. i have a 2.1 megapixel camera. i dont know how u cant see that it broke right in 2
Sure, it broke. I can not see if there are any voids in the casting or nicks, scrapes or such that could have formed stress risers.

#6 ·
yo man the same exact thing happened to my XT

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=137257

it was because my chain was too short and when the suspension compressed the wheel got further away from the bb so when it compressed the chain would pull on the deraillure and the deraillure didnt extend that much. you could check if you get a new deraillure by taking off your shock and putting the chain on the biggest sprockets and let the suspension go down and see if the deraillure is pulled all the way. i got a new deraillure and i did this and it was fine so i guess my old deraillure didnt extend as much

#7 ·
shiggy said:
Sure, it broke. I can not see if there are any voids in the casting or nicks, scrapes or such that could have formed stress risers.
i see. here, i took some more. hope these are better. sorry for having a bad attitude, just frustrated about the whole deal especially since its a week from diablo opening. but yeah, what about in these pictures

Attachments

#8 ·
i was jut riding along n the thing snapped. i think i hit it a few times, but that was wayyy before it broke. and idk, i have a hard bike to work with cuz of all the swing arm movement but i had the thing set right for the deraileur. i had a crappy deraileur rip due to short chain length, so i dont believe this made it happen. i dont really know. any recommendations on a new deraileur?

#10 ·
acdcfan1283 said:
i was jut riding along n the thing snapped. i think i hit it a few times, but that was wayyy before it broke. and idk, i have a hard bike to work with cuz of all the swing arm movement but i had the thing set right for the deraileur. i had a crappy deraileur rip due to short chain length, so i dont believe this made it happen. i dont really know. any recommendations on a new deraileur?
The previous hits could have damaged it leading to the breakage.

The most unbreakable derailleurs I have used were the $15 Shimano 200GS with plastic knuckles instead of metal. The pivots wore out quickly, though, and I would use 2-3 a year. Have not been available for years.

#11 ·
shiggy said:
The previous hits could have damaged it leading to the breakage.

The most unbreakable derailleurs I have used were the $15 Shimano 200GS with plastic knuckles instead of metal. The pivots wore out quickly, though, and I would use 2-3 a year. Have not been available for years.
alright, thanks for the help. I dunno what im gonna do yet, ill figure it out

#12 ·
I have seen that happen to XT's too. Happend to a guy i know just last week. There really isnt too much you can do about it. Its just one of those things. Personally I would just put another derailuer on there and go with it. Not every casting/forging/machined part can be perfect so yoou just gotta roll with the punches and get back up. It seems that shimano and sram figured out that by making the parts not last nearly as long, they will break more and cause people to buy their products more often since there really isnt any competition in the bicycle drive train market. These companies also do it with their BB's. They want to save $.05 in grease per bb so they dont put as much into them, and then bam that giga pipe you just shelled out the $$$ for feels like its running on sand paper after 2 months. then the process starts all over again. and companies walk away with more of your $$ in their pocket.

#13 ·
acdcfan1283 said:
Yeah...the pics show all. i dunno wtf happened there. Is it worth spendin the extra cash for the x.0, is it stronger then the x.9? this aluminum alloy looks pretty cheap, i dunno. i was just riding along n all of a sudden i hear crack crack snap! and its tangled up in my wheel. let me know :mad2:
K, those picks are pretty blurry (as stated by a previous poster) but from what can be seen of the coloring of the failed area it looks like it could be multi cycle fatigue cracking - a small hit started the cracking, over time the cracking continued (hence the color differences) until it got to a point it could not hold together then had the final single cycle failure (the all of a sudden crack crack snap....)

Probably would have happened no matter what rear D you had on. I wold just replace it with another x9......

#20 ·
acdcfan1283 said:
i was jut riding along n the thing snapped.
Not making fun of you man so don't get all upset, derailleurs busting is always a bum deal, especially when the resort is about to open. I just think it's funny that you said this because its the never ending saying that all bike shop workers here from customers...

JRA....Just Riding Along....:thumbsup:

#22 ·
yeah i ordered a medium cage x.9, just hope it getsh ere on time. My LBS doesn't think sram will warranty it, but since apparently they've been having problems with em according to you guys, i told em to try anyways. i'll do what I can. thanks for the help guys

#23 ·
it's not the derailleurs fault.
Check your der hanger - i bet it was bent from the previous hits. That way, the derailleur cage touched the spokes when shifting into one of the lower gears, it got caught and snap. My X.7 died just like that. Do you run 1x9? then get a short cage derailleur to prevent this, and check your der hanger from time to time.

#26 ·
Check the jockey wheels

My upper jockey wheel would periodically freeze up and apply excess torque to the knuckle. I didn't know it was happening until the X.9 sheared in exactly the same spot as you show. It might not be the case for you if your der has seen a couple of big hits, but that was what did it for me. SRAM uses cartridge bearings which you have to service once in a while (or they lock up) unlike Shimano who uses dry sleeve bushings (either metal or ceramic) which have more inherent drag but almost never freeze up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.