Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fox 36 RC2 Owners hey :P

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  philthy 
#1 ·
hey guys, i been trying to find some actual solid information by Fox 36 RC owners about how they perform, i've obviously looked up the reviews but didn't really supply enough of what i'm lookin for.

ATM i ride a Yeti ASX with 04 888R Fork with 05 RC internals + Low speed compression sleeve, with flat crowns and it is still to raked for my liking, i'm lookin to drop some travel, some weight, and down to a single crown. For my town 8 inch forks are actually to much, and i'm more looking to step up my trick bag, rather than my drop amounts.

The thing i'm worried about switching from the 888 is, am i gonna horribly regret it lol, i'm looking to have a better pedalling less bob fork on the front which i know the 36 will do, but i'm also trying to keep the plushness of the ride *which is retardedly plush atm* as close as possible to what it currently is with a couple flicks of a knob. Also durability i broke the 888 about a week after i bought them lol, biggest drops i do are 12-13 feet and i dont have any real desire *or even the location in my city* to go much bigger than that. I'm wondering if the Fox 36RC2 is basically gonna be able to hold up to me, as well as not make me wish i still had the 8 inch squishy on the front :) There will be an occasional Whistler + Sunpeaks riding, there is a local lift access hill in my city but it'll still be fairly easy to clear everything with a SC i'm sure, i'd say i'm a reasonably smooth rider, but than again i'm a clumsy bastard so sometimes i'll go all retarded, and prey that i dont snap the lil SC lol. sorry i blabber a bit :p

See less See more
#2 ·
1st

Well you broke a 888. So, you are on the line for durability w/ any fork besides a Monsta.

66 might be a good choice if you are about rough landings and all out abuse.

That said I'm on the 36Van rc2 for almost 9mos.I won't be going to Bombers again until they update that BS air adjust junk. Air sux. :D

36VANs rock. Light,stiff,excellent damping,reliable & working adjustability. Spend the X-tra money and go rc2 though. Don't be cheap now because the adjustability will be huge for you. Heard of bottoming on the lower end models.

Oh, look for transitions. no more flat stuff on the 36 it is style not impact resistance w/ a 36Vanrc2.

#4 ·
heh, single crown forks are more than capable of handling 12-13 foot drops, i dont take many sketchy drops, and i will definately be getting the RC2 if i do get the SC, other option i was *thinking* of would be perhaps a SC Travis....., i do work at a bikeshop over here in canada, but haven't had any / seen any bikes kickin around my city with the Fox 36 for me to even test out, i'm also after trying out a new fork brand that i haven't had on any of my bikes before, i've had the Boxxer's, Hanebrink WC's*barf*, 888's, random Marz single crowns so i'm kinda choosin between Fox 36, and possible Travis...... other option would be to have my single crown, and throw the 888 in the shed till i do my road trips to whistler/sunpeaks lol

oh as far as the 888's breaking, it was stock 04 888R which were actually pretty flimsy internally, those lil snap rings they had to adjust the preload levels were garbage, i punched the top caps right over them.... they were far to small, after it got warrantied and RC internals, with the new type of snap rings it was flawless, i'm really not that horribly hard on my bikes 99% of the time, hence me trying to lose a bit of bulk the drops over 10 feet that i go for, are very very nicely built, with very nice tranny's... i'm not out to prove jack, so i dont jump off all those crap ass built stunts, with the wrist breakin, mediocre flat landings lol, i just ride for my personal amusement so it's mostly speed, and smoothy smooth that turn my cranks.

#5 ·
AKRida said:
heh, the SC, other option i was *thinking* of would be perhaps a SC Travis....., i do work at a bikeshop over here in canada, but haven't had any / seen any lol

oh as far as the 888's breaking, it was stock 04 888R which were actually pretty flimsy internally, those lil snap rings they had to adjust the preload levels were garbage, i punched the top caps right over them.... they were far to small, after it got warrantied and RC internals, with the new type of snap rings it was flawless, i'm really not that horribly hard on my bikes 99% of the time, hence me trying to lose a bit of bulk the drops over 10 feet that i go for, are very very nicely built, with very nice tranny's... i'm not out to prove jack, so i dont jump off all those crap ass built stunts, with the wrist breakin, mediocre flat landings lol, i just ride for my personal amusement so it's mostly speed, and smoothy smooth that turn my cranks.
forget the travis....they are already starting to have problems with them

#7 ·
I ran my ASX with a Z150 for a year (Very similar A-C as the 36) and to be honest it just never felt right angles wise. I now have a 66SL on the front which is perfect. it has transformed the feel of the bike and is a superb fork.
Guess what I'm saying is the ASX is better with a 170mm fork, It just feels wrong with a 150 up front.

#9 ·
The 36 Van RC2 is the SC that you want. I have an 06' on my Transition Vagrant HT and the fork feels like an 8" DC. As menioned you will want the extra settings that the RC2 offers. It took a few rides to break in and I had to adjust the high speed and low speed compression as the fork broke in. Plus you can set it up for some XC riding and then step it up with a turn or two for big stuff.

I was a little concerned about dropping $700 on a SC but the fork is dialed. I put in the heavy spring that came with it and never looked back. Stiff, plush, light and able to be dialed in for the riding you want for that day. Sweet.

#10 ·
Whether Fox or Zoke are better is an non issue. :madman: Seriously for FR DH (And since you in that forum I assume thats your primary use) the ASX handles much better with a longer A-C fork than the Fox, 05 66's are far too long the Fox 36 is too short but any fork with an A-C similar to the 06 170mm 66 (any fork you like but around this a-c 555.2mm) will suite the bike better.

I assume you want the best handling fork to match the frame as opposed to the blingest fork :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.