Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

World Cup DH #1 Results!!!!!

890 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bikenweed 
#1 ·
Mick Hannah wins his first world cup DH.
Nathan Rennie comes second.
Peaty comes third after suffering an open dislocation!!!!
of his middle finger in a practice run. Makes it back
from the hospital just in time to race.
Marc Beaumont stoked to podium.
Gee Atherton rounds out the top five.

Hannah: 2:22
Rennie: 2:23 Santa Cruz V-10
Peat: 2:24 Santa Cruz V-10
Beaumont: 2:25 Santa Cruz V-10
Atherton: 2:25.9

Thanks to Kathy Sessler....

#3 ·
RobsterCraw said:
Interesting results for DH. Hannah ruined Santa Cruz's sweep. Nothing special about the 4x results except that Chris Powell looks like he's on the up and up. He's recovering from a broken thumb but still placed 4th at Sea Otter and 6th in Vigo. Watch out for that guy.
Nothing special other than the fact that Lopes crashed out in practice and that EC didn't advance.

Someone check Powell for the roids.

#4 ·
konabiker said:
Nothing special other than the fact that Lopes crashed out in practice and that EC didn't advance.

Someone check Powell for the roids.
Powell is a douche meat head. Ive never liked that guy. He gets the worst of worlds in shaving his head, being short, angry, and hugely ripped. short meat heads with tempers dont belong in MTB.

#6 ·
biker3 said:
Powell is a douche meat head. Ive never liked that guy. He gets the worst of worlds in shaving his head, being short, angry, and hugely ripped. short meat heads with tempers dont belong in MTB.
Woa dude, chill. I don't know Powell super well or anything, but every experience I've ever had with him has been super positive. I first met him when he was 14, racing BMX for FreeAgent, and a local at Santa Clara PAL BMX. He was young, but still nice enough to talk to me when I was an 11-Novice. Note that he would always win the Open Pro/Am races in NorCal when he was 14. Most 14 year olds can't hang in AAPro too well. I've seen him on the ground in Reno, Nevada, (1998?) with his BMX career-ending broken femur. That was also his first and last race for factory Haro, I believe. He's been through some tought times, but I've never found him to be angry or short tempered. If you catch him after losing a race, yeah, he'll be bummed, but that's because he's giving bike racing a second chance after getting shafted so hard in BMX. You'd be bummed too if a minor mistake kept you from a hefty paycheck.

I won't say he's the best person ever in biking, because I don't know him too well, but he's no complete douche bag. At least, that's the impression I've gotten of Powell after almost ten years of interactions with the dude; he's a regular, nice guy.

#7 ·
I just got back from Vigo yesterday. I only raced the DH, but wrecked (twice!) in qualifying, not making it into the finals. More than 200 riders entered Elite Men's DH, and only 80 made it in to the finals. The level of riding at a world cup is unbelievable, definitely several notches higher than a NORBA.

Duncan Riffle was the highest placing American, I believe. Josh Toland was the second highest placing American. Travis Bond made the trip across, but didn't qualify. Hannah's team mate Chris VanDine had some bad luck when his visor fell down right before a tech stream crossing, causing him to wreck pretty badly and not qualify. He also broke his wrist. Hannah Hannah, Mick's wife, also raced. Kathy Pruit's bike got lost by the airlines till Friday night, giving her only one day of practice. Melissa Buhl's DH bike also got lost, so she could only race the 4x. The DH course wasn't too hard to ride, but to ride it fast, without making mistakes, was damn near impossible. A very demanding course, and there were a lot of injuries.

The 4x course was regular world cup style, big jumps, sweeping corners, complete with the final road gap from the DH course for the guys on their 4x bikes to huck. The whole podium seems to be from European countries that lack vowells. Those dudes were all going way to fast, way too smoothly. Lopes had a bad wreck, and he's updated his journal about it on www.brianlopes.com. Jill Kintner was going very fast, and Eric Carter had some bad luck breaking a collerbone. The crowd was huge, the beer plentiful, and the sun was shining. Any questions?

Photos can be found on www.foromtb.com, www.southerndownhill.com, www.ridemonkey.com, and a ton of other sites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.