Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First race of the season - - North Shore Ripper

665 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LeeL 
#1 ·
First race of the season - - North Shore Ripper

The North Shore Ripper is a fun little series that our local trail organization throws together. Its $ 15 bucks to race and its basically either a team event or a solo event. Team events - someone rides uphill and someone else rides downhill; solos - well you get to do both.

Its pretty informal, lots of beer is drunk, its not timed, and we get local celebs like Andreas Hestler, Andrew Shandro etc out to ride.

This race goes up Fromme Mountain - celebrated in "North Shore" mythology as the birthplace of freeriding. Well, its just the place that I learned to ride.

Here's a pretty funny video of some visitor who rode Seventh Secret - a trail on Fromme which is our race course. Click on this one - I guarantee you'll like it - https://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/13ThingsYouMightSayOnTheNorthShore.mpg

Here's the writeup on the race from a biking website which does a lot to support our trails - https://www.nsmb.com/community/ripperwrap1_05_06.php

And here's some pictures of the "race".

Le Mans start

Cam McRae photo

Gravel road grunt

Dave Ferguson photo

About two thirds of the way down I get passed by some of the downhillers:

Dave Ferguson photo

Finish line; some guys are toast

Cam McRae photo

Race profile - no HR or speed as the HRM was acting up

Post race skin loss - a whole season of skiing and not a scratch. One lousy ride and the skin's gone

Cam McRae photo

Apres jagerbombs

Cam McRae photo

See less See more
#6 ·
ebxtreme said:
Lee,

Love the neon yellow jersey. Good to pull that one out for the Ripper...... :wink:

I see you're on that Norco that you're reviewing. How'd it do for you in the event?

Cheers,
EBX
That's an old Norco jersey from 1996 - looks good for pics.

I like the bike but not happy with the OE tires. They're coming off. Semi-slicks aren't so good for wet rocks and ladder bridges so i got passed a lot going down 7th- i figure it cost me about 5 mins on the downhill which kinda blows. The bike is great though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.