Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain Suck, Drive Train Issues- Frame Damage

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Heals120 
#1 ·
For the first time, in many years of riding I am having some serious chain-suck issues. As long as no mud, dust, or dirt gets on the chain it's usually okay. BUT… once its dirty I can't shift into my lowest gear without the chain wrapping around the front gear and then gouging into my frame. The most frustrating part is this happens when I am cranking hard going up a steep hill. So basically… it's still fun to bomb down the hill… but there's just one more thing that makes the ride up… or walk in this case, just that much more difficult:mad: .

Here's the general setup:
- Last model XTR Cranks
- Stumpjumper FSR frame
- XTR Rear Derailleur
- 8 speed chain
- XT 8 Speed Rear Cassette

So, near my cranks, on the inside of my chainstay, the frame is gouged silver. The rest of my chainstay area is perfect. I use a chainstay protector from Gebali.com :thumbsup: that's doing an incredible job of protecting the frame and silencing chain slap- beats anything else I've used. They are a cool little company worth checking out, their site is:

http://www.gebali.com

Anyways, if anyone has ideas on what to do about this problem of chain suck/damage, I would be really happy to hear it. You don't go too far without being able to pedal back up the hills!

See less See more
#3 ·
many years with same drivetrain?

Free Spirit said:
For the first time, in many years of riding I am having some serious chain-suck issues. As long as no mud, dust, or dirt gets on the chain it's usually okay. BUT… once its dirty I can't shift into my lowest gear without the chain wrapping around the front gear and then gouging into my frame. The most frustrating part is this happens when I am cranking hard going up a steep hill. So basically… it's still fun to bomb down the hill… but there's just one more thing that makes the ride up… or walk in this case, just that much more difficult:mad: .

Here's the general setup:
- Last model XTR Cranks
- Stumpjumper FSR frame
- XTR Rear Derailleur
- 8 speed chain
- XT 8 Speed Rear Cassette

So, near my cranks, on the inside of my chainstay, the frame is gouged silver. The rest of my chainstay area is perfect. I use a chainstay protector from Gebali.com :thumbsup: that's doing an incredible job of protecting the frame and silencing chain slap- beats anything else I've used. They are a cool little company worth checking out, their site is:

http://www.gebali.com

Anyways, if anyone has ideas on what to do about this problem of chain suck/damage, I would be really happy to hear it. You don't go too far without being able to pedal back up the hills!
I would go with adjustments and cable conditions first
also check for bent teeth on your chain rings, could be slipping at the right time when hammering...
...however, it could be time for a new drivetrain (chain, chain rings, and cassette).
Change all at the same time (unless you can determine a tooth is bent).

#5 ·
freeriderB said:
I would go with adjustments and cable conditions first
also check for bent teeth on your chain rings, could be slipping at the right time when hammering...
...however, it could be time for a new drivetrain (chain, chain rings, and cassette).
Change all at the same time (unless you can determine a tooth is bent).
Like he said

Also, you may want to change to a 9speed chain to work better with the crank.

#7 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
How old is your chain? I typically replace my chains twice a season to reduce wear on other drivetrain components. As mentioned, it could most definitely be worn out or warped chainrings, or bent/missing teeth.
take it to the LBS....and let them look at it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.