Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

yakuza aniki rear shock swapable?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  IBLQQ2NCU 
#1 ·
Looking into just buying the complete bike because of how cheap it is... But I want to go manitou or fox on the rear shock... can I do this without bustin out a dremel, drill, and some taps?

#5 ·
yeah.. i have a yakuza aniki 2005. i run a boxxer race 2004 on it... and my shock has ALOT OF FLEX for a shock... what do u think is wrong...? can i switch shocks? i went to the LBS and i think they told me it was like... 9 inches i2i...
a FOX DHX 5.0 will bee good...i think

#6 ·
Dnovick104 said:
yeah.. i have a yakuza aniki 2005. i run a boxxer race 2004 on it... and my shock has ALOT OF FLEX for a shock... what do u think is wrong...? can i switch shocks? i went to the LBS and i think they told me it was like... 9 inches i2i...
a FOX DHX 5.0 will bee good...i think
make sure your pivot is tight and there is no side-to-side play, as the rear shock doesn't have anything to do with the stiffness of the rear end.

unfortunately Fox doesn't make a coil in 9 x 2.75 (the size you need). if you run an 8.75 x 2.75 shock it will lower your bb, slacken your head angle and the tire might possibly contact the seat. (will also void your warranty) hope this helps.

#8 ·
I looked at an Aniki not to long ago and while I thought the frame was decent there was not a single component on the bike I would keep. The fork and shock were some generic no name crap. The price on the one I saw was $950 and the best price I found online was $750, so at best I'd have been spending $750 for the frame. Yeah I could sell the components and recoupe some cash but not much. So I guess what I'm trying to say is you might want to consider something else, IMHO the Aniki is not a good value.

Take a look at the IBEX bikes, a little more $ but a way better value.

#10 ·
I was considering getting a stinky frame for my build (because I can get the frame for ~550$)... but I saw the yakuza, and I already have some DC forks to put on it, crankset, and about everything else (bars, x.9's, stem, seat/post). I would use the generic parts thats on the yakuza and swap them for the alot better parts on my hardtail so I can still fling 2 straps. I did not like the rear shock on the aniki though so I was wondering the compatability for when I do buy I can put a new rear shock on it and all my parts swapped and have a legit ride.

#11 ·
also if you have any other suggestions for downhill/FR frames in the range <700$ (other than kona and ironhorse) post it up...

Ive been looking at many, just thought the aniki could be a good deal... Also been checking out the haro extreme x3, versus blitz, sette relic etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.