Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

jump building questions!?!?!

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ibanezrg520kid 
#1 ·
ok, so i live in indiana, but about 5 hours away in illionis i own a farm in which i use to have alot of dirtbike trails. i just got out of motocross though and am now thinking of building some nice dirtjumps next time i'm down there.

this is what i have to work with...
we have plenty of land, hills of different sizes to build on, hills in the woods to build on also, and flat open areas, along with a tractor to help build jumps and other random farm equipment.

so i was wondering... how long would it take to build some decent dirt jumps? nothing crazy big or fancy, but just a nice set of jumps including prolly a few doubles, table top or two, and some sort of step up? i won't be down there for atleast a month or more till school gets out, but now i can drive so i would prolly go down there and build them and ride them just about whenever i wanted.

so if anyone has any advice on building jumps and information on how much time i should expect to spend building these jumps i would greatly appreciate it!

ps. i would build here in indiana, but now all the farms around my house are neighborhoods.....bast*rds.....

See less See more
#3 ·
First of all, what's the dirt like? Do you have a spot where you can create a big-ass hole to get dirt from? Tabletops will require a LOT of dirt... With a backhoe or a tractor, you should be able to get what you want roughed in very quickly. Shaping them will take a while. If you have help you could have something pretty sick in just a few days.

Build something small and work your way up.... your questions will answer themselves.

#4 ·
yeah, umm about that dirt....it's brown? haha i don't know what it is really like. i use to have a few motocross jumps, i knocked them down, and i really don't know how to described the dirt, but it def. isn't clay... it shouldn't be too bad for building jumps.

yeah i think i'm changing my mind about the table tops and was actually thinking of building them as doubles but then building wooden decks to fill in the gap and make it a table top. this would take alot less dirt cause i can have a good sized hole, but i don't want too big cause i know one of my dumba$$ counsins would ride a fourwheeler or dirtbike into it and then i'd have to get it out...

so i guess i'll just have to wait and see...hopefully i can get most of the rough building done in a day with the help of my dad, grandpa and a tractor or two then just finish up the final shaping and reworking on a second day...and then hit them!

ps. these are going to be really big jumps... i'm not too experiance with dirtjumping bikes... i'm sure i'll hurt myself on these : )

#8 ·
acdh said:
Where in Indiana do you live I 'm located in plymouth. I just started making some smaller jumps and I had them roughed in and pretty well shaped and packed in a day with a tractor.
3 table tops
1 double
And then it hasn't stopped raining since.
hey, i think i was just looking at these pics in another thread yesterday! nice work man!

i'm located in noblesville..if you don't know where that is its just north of indy. you live about 2hours north of me. i'd love to ride sometime!

#9 ·
Make sure there is good dirt because i am building some jumps in california and there is a lot of sand where i build them. the sand makes it hard to get speed. so make sure there is places where you could get speed, good dirt, and don't forget to pack the jumps down. I learned the last one the hard way.

#10 ·
Yeah I hijacked someone elses post with them the other day. What kind of riding do you do and have you ever gone to CPX in IL. Unfortunatley I have to plan a ride like 2 weeks in advance around my sons practices and games but I plan on going to CPX at least once this summer. I just got back from the Platteville DH & DS race and have the bug to ride all the time again.:D

#11 ·
nah, i've never been to CPX...what kind of stuff do they got?

i usually do XC riding and urban assult. i only have a specialized hardrock pro, so if its a big DH place it would prolly suck for me, but i'll try and look into it. what kind of riding are you into?

#12 ·
I ride XC, DH, DS/4x and freeride. search for CPX Park and you can see what they have or go to teamsally.com and they have a lot of pics/vids of the place. It seems to have a lot of northshore type stuff which is always a challenge and I see a lot of guys on hard tails in the pics/vids you might want to check it out.

#13 ·
do you do any xc racing? if so are you going to hit up the town run trail park race (most locals just call it 96th street) cause if you are and you plan on riding before a race let me know. i'm there all the time. or if you are ever just heading there for some reason, but doubt you come down here... you prolly get better riding there and if you waned better trails, in indiana atleast, you'd prolly go down south. but hey if you are ever around town runt rail park and wanna ride let me know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.