Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tire Choices...Please Help

997 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  EastCoastHucker 
#1 ·
I need new front and rear tires for my bighit. The front was a Maxxis 2.7 Minion, but now it rubs on my new fork so needs to be switched out. The rear is a 24x2.7 Maxxis High Roller and needs to be swapped out because it has some pretty large gashes in the sidewalls. Im looking to replace the rear with a 24x2.5 Kenda Nevegal Stick-E and the front with a 2.5 Maxxis High Roller 60 Duro. Will this combo work. I know that Kenda runs a bit big. If im off at all with these choices please correct me. Any help would be awsome.
PS: Ill be riding at Diablo, so its rocky, pretty dry and hard pack most of the time..

Thanks alot
Erik

G
#2 ·
edray said:
I need new front and rear tires for my bighit. The front was a Maxxis 2.7 Minion, but now it rubs on my new fork so needs to be switched out. The rear is a 24x2.7 Maxxis High Roller and needs to be swapped out because it has some pretty large gashes in the sidewalls. Im looking to replace the rear with a 24x2.5 Kenda Nevegal Stick-E and the front with a 2.5 Maxxis High Roller 60 Duro. Will this combo work. I know that Kenda runs a bit big. If im off at all with these choices please correct me. Any help would be awsome.
PS: Ill be riding at Diablo, so its rocky, pretty dry and hard pack most of the time..

Thanks alot
Erik
I Can't help you with your tires, but I can help you by bumping. I'm sure somebody here knows what you need help with.

#3 ·
edray said:

Thanks alot
Erik
Kenda 2.5 is about the same as a Maxxis 2.7.

Nevegals front and rear would hbe superb.

Otherwise 2.5 Mobster front, 2.5 High roller rear is a nice setup for a variety of conditions; use a sticky in the front and a 60 in the rear as a compromise.

Diablo likes Minions as well.

There are alot of options; volume is often a preference ( I like 2.5+ for creek 2.2-2.3 for the Kill..)

Any specific type of terrain outside of diablo you want to ride? Are you smooth or a plowboy? Do you ride often or infrequently? How often are you willing to spend $$ on tires......

these types of questions make answers more specific!!

#4 ·
Any consideration to a Minion 2.5?? If you like the tire why not just down size. I run a Minion 2.5 up front and a buddy runs the 2.7, there is no noticable differance except his shed mud much better.

And I keep my larger width tire up front, keeps the bike feeling more nimble. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.