Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best upgrades?

840 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ebfreerider510 
#1 ·
I have a Trek 4500, about 6 years old. Recently I decided to start riding seriously again. I like downhill, small jumps, nothing too extreme though. I know it's not the best frame, but I can't afford to drop $1k on my dream bike right now. Basically I was wondering what the best upgrades are for the money. I'm thinking mostly brakes and derailer? If so, which ones? Besides those two, what are good things to upgrade on a mountain bike? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Yeah... With that bike, you cant really do so much with. The frame is a 2000? and Im not sure it will take to many forks of today, or if your willing to pay for a new fork... i would just not waste the money on the bike, and just save money/put some money aside every time you get a paycheck from work or something, till you can afford one... :-\

#5 ·
Dnovick104 said:
The frame is a 2000? and Im not sure it will take to many forks of today,
That frame will take any 1 1/8 steer tube fork out there. Its just a matter of spending the money on the one you want. If you are going to get a new fork just rememer that the frame is XC frame, so its not going to be too befy.

I am kinda hestiant to buy nice $100+ derailers because I just end up bashing it into rocks and logs, which make a nice derailer into a nice paper weight.

You could upgrade breaks but you need disk monts on you frame and fork to run disks. They might be nice because when you do get a new ride you can switch them over.

IMO i would either keep it and just fix anything that breaks or stright up sell it and buy a usesd frame like SMT said.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.