Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

"downhill" clipless pedals

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  perttime 
#1 ·
Whats the deal with downhill pedals having such large platform. For example: Crankbros mallet, in downhill raicng why would it be better to use a pair of mallets rather than candys? You feel me? Whats the deal? Im confused...:confused:

#2 ·
breggurns said:
Whats the deal with downhill pedals having such large platform. For example: Crankbros mallet, in downhill raicng why would it be better to use a pair of mallets rather than candys? You feel me? Whats the deal? Im confused...:confused:
I don't rock clipless, except on my road bike... however:

1) You clip out for a turn, whatnot, you can't always get clipped back in. A big platform also gives you an easier to step on target.
2) Alot of the skate-style SPD shoes aren't very stiff, so more platform prevents arch fatigue by providing additional support. Even on normal platforms, really long runs can make your feet sore if it's too tech to ever sit.
3) Along the same lines, big hits still come through your shoes, platforms help dispurse that pressure.
4) For the inevitable baby head pedal scrape, a big platform protects the critical parts of the pedal. I guess you can argue that you are less likely to hit stuff with a smaller pedal...

All said, clipless are kinda sketch. Props if you ride em, and some smoother courses (or a Super D thing) can be run faster if you pedal in circles.

But I don't race, so I don't see the benefit. They can give you poor technique too, in terms of big hits and such.

Shandro rides them on big hit stuff... crazy.

#5 ·
Most pro downhillers are clipped-in today. The main reason is they allow the rider to fully unweight / stay light on the pedals through rough sections. This lets you float over nastiness without worrying about gripping the pedals / coming off them. You also have more immediate control to pick-up and stick the back end if you need to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.